Using Hive on 2 separate boilers?

Sponsored Links
I always say if you learn from a mistake then it was worth making the mistake , we all have to learn somewhere.

So here's my challenge for today, fitting Hive onto this beast! Sparky booked for 5pm if I can't figure it out before then!
20171124_092016.jpg 20171124_091806.jpg 20171124_092046.jpg

There are 3 thermostats in the house, one in the attic, one outside and one in the main room. I'm thinking to hijack the one in the main room for the receiver so it can be wired direct using that, as I don't think the wireless signal will reach into the basement.

Is it ok to just control the pumps off the programmable stat then - won't the boiler keep coming on to warm itself up to its set temp?

Any thoughts / advice welcomed!

Last edited:
Think I might be getting somewhere now, found this in the depths of the boiler:

Attachments

• 20171124_114357.jpg
    20171124_114357.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
The three thermostats complicates things a bit. We have only been discussing two boilers one oil and one LPG, so two Hive receivers. Three thermostats means three receivers. What does the 3rd thermostat do?

I'm a bit worried too about the state of the equipment in your photo. Does it actually work now.

The 3 thermostats in the house are main room, attic and outside air, so I'm guessing the attic and outside air ones are low temp sensors and can go, just leaving the one in the main room, which I'm planning to swap to the receiver (which would then be hard-wired to the boiler, using the existing thermostat wiring).

Just to clarify, the Hive system on the static has been up and running for a few months, no problems there.

You have a thermostat outside? What is it controlling? I'm sure you don't have radiators outside. Are you sure it's a thermostat and not weather compensation?

Of the other two (Attic and Main Room) I assume that one is for the LPG boiler and the other one for the Oil boiler. Is that correct?

The outside thermostat is just monitoring air temp as far as I can see. It's high on an outside wall. Weather compensation maybe - I don't know the technicalities. I do know that the one in the attic has a dial on it, same as the one in the main room.
20171124_121028.jpg

No, none of these are for the LPG boiler - let's forget about that one for the time being - it's totally separate, I want to bring it into the equation later so I can control it through the app.

The equipment does work! The burner was only fitted last year. We've never had the thermostat and timer working properly, so control it manually using the isolating switch. Far from ideal, I know, hence why I'm trying to sort it. We will replace it at some point, but not in the immediate future.

OK, that's clearer. So the oil boiler is plumbed with two zones 'Attic' and 'Main House' each with a separate thermostat. So somewhere there will be diverter valves for each zone that will be wired to the appropriate thermostat. Which would mean that you will need two receivers for the oil boiler.
We've never had the thermostat and timer working properly, so control it manually using the isolating switch. Far from ideal, I know, hence why I'm trying to sort it. We will replace it at some point, but not in the immediate future.

You will need to find out why the thermostat and timer don't "work properly". For example, is it simply because they are faulty, or is it because they are not wired up correctly. If the second is true it will be necessary to find out what the problem is before attempting to install the Hive.

However, bearing in mind that the existing controls don't work and looking at the state of the current installation, it would be easier (and probably cheaper if you are employing the services of an electrician) to scrap the existing wiring and install the Hive from scratch as if it were a new system.

Let's see what you sparky says this afternoon.

There's only one heating zone - there's no diverter valves or anything like that, and def no heating in the attic! I'm sure that's just a low temp sensor and can get ripped out, along with the outside sensor. I'm pretty sure you're right about scrapping the existing wiring and installing the Hive from scratch. I'm just trying to find a wiring diagram for the boiler to see if it can take a thermostat straight onto the control panel.

OK. One of the thermostats isn't doing anything then I guess. You can't have two thermostats controlling one zone. So starting from scratch is definitely the best option. What you have now sounds like it needs to go.

I've managed to get proper access to the wiring in the boiler now, and it looks as though it can take a thermostat, and also control the pump!
20171124_152248.jpg

I guess it can run the pump straight from there withouth a relay? (Pump is 140w / 0.62A.) Don't like the look of the black wire going into a "L" terminal tho!

So Hive wiring straight into the boiler, and pump wiring straight back out, and most of the rest of the gubbins can be junked.

If it's that simple tho, I don't get why it wasn't wired up like that to start, instead of all this complexity.

Will update later after sparky visit :)

Last edited:
Sparky been and reckons should be fine to put the Hive straight into the boiler terminals, and run the pump from the boiler terminals too, ripping the rest of the unneeded stuff out.

Good. I wouldn't have expected otherwise. What you are doing now is installing a Hive on a standard system.

There hasn't been any mention of domestic hot water. Just out of curiosity how is that generated, or do you just take cold showers. ;)

Ha, we've got a shower in the static! I got a dual channel hive for the house as I'm not sure what heating system we'll have in the future when it's done, but for now, we mostly freeze in the static, lol!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back