Using Immersion Heater (Boiler off/rads drained)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My Mum's central heating has packed up. Someone came this morning and says the pump has gone. He went away, saying he'd ring in an hour - I presume he went to get the part. Well she's still waiting for the call 8+ hours later and she can't get through to them on the phone.

Anyway, as far as I know, they have drained the radiators - but not sure if they have also drained the whole system/tank.

Would it be safe for her to switch the immersion on for hot water? Or, if the tank is drained will that cause more problems?

Thanks in advance and apologies for my ignorance!!

Sponsored Links
Did she pay them any money? as its strange that they didn't come back. Give them a call in the morning and leave a message saying that if they don't come back to her within the next 2hrs, then she will have to call someone else.

Andy

Did she pay them any money? as its strange that they didn't come back. Give them a call in the morning and leave a message saying that if they don't come back to her within the next 2hrs, then she will have to call someone else.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for that. No, she hasn't paid anything. She's got a policy with Homeserve who have been an absolute nightmare (very long story!). They arrranged for this company to come and Mum says guy very nice etc., so not sure why they haven't had the courtesy not to ring back - yet! Fingers crossed they'll call in the morning and if not we'll have to go back to Homeserve yet again.

She's 86 and been without heating since Friday and really feels the cold. :cry:

Sponsored Links
Homeserve :evil:

Ring them back now and tell them the story. Tell them you want a phone call by 9am tomorrow morning, this service is totaly unacceptable. Your mother is 86. Tell them if no one rings you back you will get someone else to do the job and charge Homeserve. Get names of who you speak to and follow it up with an email. You can buy a central heating pump from any high street.

Andy

Homeserve :evil:

Ring them back now and tell them the story. Tell them you want a phone call by 9am tomorrow morning, this service is totaly unacceptable. Your mother is 86. Tell them if no one rings you back you will get someone else to do the job and charge Homeserve. Get names of who you speak to and follow it up with an email. You can buy a central heating pump from any high street.

Andy

I was on the phone to Homeserve several times on Saturday and yesterday. Managed to speak to a Manager yesterday who seemed to know what she was talking about, but they really are hopeless. They're as much use as a chocolate teapot! At once stage they suggested we could get someone out and they would pay, but it would have meant finding someone in yellow pages. More importantly, as they are so useless, I didn't trust them enough to honour paying for the repairs. They keep saying they'll call back and don't.

I've been looking to find an alternative for the future who can honour the 24 hour emergency callout, but so far only found British Gas or the AA - do you have any recommendations?

you are better off asking friends and neighbours if they recommend anyone local they trust and have used before. Personal recommendation is a hundred times better than yellow pages. Oddly, the Parish Magazine usually has small ads from established local traders, though they might not be cheap, word soon gets around if they are crooks.

If it is a combi boiler with the pump inside, you may need a Gassafe person, but if it is an older system with a hot water cylinder and the pipe outside the boiler, any competent plumber can change it as there is no need to touch any gas part.

The trouble is that at this time of year, any plumber or heating enginner who is any good will be rushed off his feet. If you can arrange for the boiler to go wrong in August, it will be much easier to find someone.

I offer my customers a 7 day service 8am - 10pm, I don't belive you need 24hr cover. As long as you have a working stopcock, that is checked every 6 months and of course is accessible. Most of my customers like to have a lever valve which is very easy to turn off. I show all my customers what to do in an emergency. You mother could turn the water off and of course phone you. As John says, ask friends and family for a local plumber who will be able to help you out, once you have found someone good, they will realise that they have a bigger customer base as when you do a good job for 1 person of the family, normally you will work for all the family and friends.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back