Using Johnsons eggshell paint. It's too thick, what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to paint a utility room and this stuff is so guey and thick. Should ito be like this? Just add water and stir?

It's Johnson's eggshell white acrylic paint

Attachments

• 20170408_230920.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 141
Sponsored Links
Erm, that doesn't look like eggshell, it looks like their scrubbable matt emulsion.

Erm, that doesn't look like eggshell, it looks like their scrubbable matt emulsion.

Is it good stuff ? It doesn't seem to last long and is guey. Do u think just add water to make it run better?

Is it good stuff ? It doesn't seem to last long and is guey. Do u think just add water to make it run better?

Water might help.

What are you painting? Walls only?

Those types of paint can be a pain when you apply the first coat over existing regular matt emulsion but the second coat is normally ok and flows reasonably well.

When working with water based paints, rather than adding water, which thins them, I prefer to add Floetrol (it isn't cheap but if goes quite far) which extends the "wet edge" time and helps me achieve a higher quality of finish.

Sponsored Links
Yeah I was applying it to normal emulsion. I have got through one can just doin the utility room. Do u have to apply a 2nd coat? My mum asked me to but is it essential?

I would recommend a second coat. What is the point in paying for a "premium" paint if you are going to cut corners? You may find that with only one coat, it is less scrubbable than you had hoped.

I haven't used that particular paint before but, based on my experience with the Dulux version, I would expect the the second coat to use up less paint than the first.

I would recommend a second coat. What is the point in paying for a "premium" paint if you are going to cut corners? You may find that with only one coat, it is less scrubbable than you had hoped.

I haven't used that particular paint before but, based on my experience with the Dulux version, I would expect the the second coat to use up less paint than the first.

OK will buy another can. My first coat was already on 2 previous coats of white normsl emulsion. Seems a bit excessive

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back