Using old water pipe for gas supply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this in line with regulations?

I'm having my old system boiler replaced with a combi, and removing the tanks on the loft. The old gas supply is 15mm, so it needs to be replaced. The question is since the old water pipes are 20mm (22mm?) could one of them be used as part of the new gas supply? The reason for asking is that if the old water pipe can be used I wouldn't have to take all the boxing off...

The pipe will obviously have to be dried out properly, etc. But I'm just wondering is this acceptable?

Sponsored Links
Pipes will probably be 3/4 which is 18mm in new money so my guess would be no. Also pipe could be corroded internally.
See what the corgis think but with gas I would be a lot happier with a brand new supply :)

Thanks BAHCO, I was worried about them being corroded as well. The chap I had around from BG was happy to use them though (it was his suggestion actually). I'm just a bit concerned...gas isn't for messing with...

Sponsored Links
Bahco's been on the wacky baccy again: "Pipes will probably be 3/4 which is 18mm".
Er, no, it became 22mm when we metricificated, which is very close and adaptors to convert are standard. He knows that!

There's nowt int regs to stop you, as long as the proper techniques & practices have been used . Water pipes don't corrode much unless in v soft water. Testing them to a few bar would take minutes.
I don't really see any objection - dry them with a vac on blow.

ChrisR, thanks for youre reply as well!

They are not 3/4", they are 22mm I'm pretty sure. I might have an old system...but it's not THAT old! ;)

Ok, that will save both time, money, replastering, and repainting in that case. :D

ChrisR said:
"Pipes will probably be 3/4 which is 18mm".
Er, no, it became 22mm when we metricificated, which is very close and adaptors to convert are standard. He knows that!

I stand corrected :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back