Using PVA to seal exposed chimney brickwork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

As part of renovations, our old chimney was opened up and an oak sleeper installed as a lintel. We will eventually get a wood burner installed, but in the mean time we have nice exposed brickwork at the back. Keen to keep this, but there is quite a bit of black soot.

What are my options?

Can I simply PVA over this to seal it or will it look rubbish?

My other thought is taking a wire brush on the end of a drill to it. Sure it will be very messy but hoping the blackened bricks might clean up?

Any experience out there?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What would the PVA be supposed to achieve?

It is water-soluble and not very durable. It must not be used on a surface that you might one day hope to paint.

Do you want to bind a dusty surface?

I doubt anything will stick to the soot.

Thanks John.

Yes essentially trying to seal the bricks. As an alternative to sealing, what's best to clean them, a chemical cleaner or good old wire brush. It's not just a thin stain of soot, but thick and old.

Sponsored Links
scraper followed by wire brush I should think. The wall might be greasy afterwards. A power jetwasher with oil remover for drives might get the remains off if so

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back