using redundant shower supply for a fan...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps..

I will shortly be starting to do some work in my bathroom.. Amongst other things, this will involve fitting a new extractor fan (none there currently). I also will be removing an electric shower.

My question is therefore this: Can i use the redundant (6mm i think) supply to the shower to run my new fan? The thing is, i'd rather not mess about with the lighting circuits - the lighting seems to be run from a big junction box in the loft, and i don't understand enough about it to go messing about with it!

It seems to me that as i am removing the shower, it might be simpler to use that supply. I know it'll need an isolating switch outside the bathroom... presumably i'd also have to reduce the size of the fuse in the consumer unit..

Any comments?

cheers!

Sponsored Links
Hi Chaps..

I will shortly be starting to do some work in my bathroom.. Amongst other things, this will involve fitting a new extractor fan (none there currently). I also will be removing an electric shower.

My question is therefore this: Can i use the redundant (6mm i think) supply to the shower to run my new fan? The thing is, i'd rather not mess about with the lighting circuits - the lighting seems to be run from a big junction box in the loft, and i don't understand enough about it to go messing about with it!

It seems to me that as i am removing the shower, it might be simpler to use that supply. I know it'll need an isolating switch outside the bathroom... presumably i'd also have to reduce the size of the fuse in the consumer unit..

Any comments?

cheers!

With respect OP, I don't believe you know enough enough to be doing any electrial work. Especially with all the Regs that sparks are governed by. :(

just run it off the lights.. stop ****ing about with 6mm 40A supplies to run a 0.5A fan...

the shower supply will need to be removed from the consumer unit end also, it's not a good idea to leave it connected and in a terminal box in the wall / roof /floor space..

Also... PART P!!!!

the work you are planning on doing is notifiable under part P of the building regulations and you either need to nofity the LABC BEFORE commencing work and pay the fees, or use a REGISTERED electrician who will notify on your behalf..

If you are running a fan from that circuit, you'd need to fuse it down to 3amp using an FCU at the end of the 6mm cable run. The CB in the consumer unit can stay as is.

Please be aware that all electrical work in a bathroom comes under the auspices of Building Regulations Part P and you must notify your local authority if you are doing the work yourself.

I'd echo Weshy's commects though, from your question you dont know enough about it - there's more to it than you think, have you considered supplementary equipotential bonding? Or do you plan to do the work to comply with the requirements of the new 17th edition Wiring Regulations?

You'd be better off getting a registered spark in.

Sponsored Links
i hold my hands up lads, yes, i'll get a sparky in... It's not quite as simple as i first assumed! I've some other electrical work that'll need doing shortly anyway...

This is what's great about the internet - ask a question, and sooner or later you get a reply!

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back