Disconnect redundant domestic supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for advice on disconnecting a redundant power supply to my property.

The current power supply comes from beneath the ground to my electric meter located in an external box at the rear of my property.

From the front of my property and attached to my chimney is a supposed redundant supply which I wish to remove due to work I am about to undertake on my roof/chimneys.

There supply is routed across my garden in which there is also an electricity pole which is not in great condition.

I have contacted sse regarding the removal but just have a couple of questions,

Will I have to pay for its removal?
If this is the case, can I remove the equipment myself?
And if not, why not? Surely if the equipment is redundant then the electricity supplier has a responsibility of removal?

Photo 1 - current live supply
Photo 2 - supposed redundant supply at point of entry to house
Photo 3 - routing of old supply to the house

Cheers

Attachments

• 2CA0531C-C409-44E3-9B04-2113C4E86846.jpeg
    2CA0531C-C409-44E3-9B04-2113C4E86846.jpeg
    652.6 KB · Views: 88
  • FEEDB919-C99C-4133-9479-E26562AC7A95.jpeg
    FEEDB919-C99C-4133-9479-E26562AC7A95.jpeg
    217.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 0E1A2682-E338-4E8C-B08B-AC543E26D8DF.jpeg
    0E1A2682-E338-4E8C-B08B-AC543E26D8DF.jpeg
    554.9 KB · Views: 97
Sponsored Links
I seem to remember the DNO needs a wayleave or something to have a supply cross your land, it would depend on if they can produce the paperwork as to if they can charge, my son had it where the electric boards employee had found a way to wire up the council houses easy when they were built, and had taken the supply to his house under ground, and then next doors around outside of house, but it had not officially been done that way, the records showed supply to each house from the road, so when he wanted the wires removed they could not charge him, however it did take around two years.

But had it been done officially, then he would have needed to pay for the removal. So there is no hard and fast rules, it all depends what is on their paperwork.

If this is the case, can I remove the equipment myself?

No you cannot remove it yourself. Only the DNO ( District Network Operator ) can work on those cables

It may still be live ( unlikely unless it supplies you next door neighbour )

When the overhead wires to your chimney are cut the pole is likely to be pulled down by the tension in the other span to the post. A temporary stay wire is necessary to ensure the pole cannot topple over when the conductors are cut from the pole.

You can find your DNO here https://www.energynetworks.org/

Sponsored Links
I have tried to see if this is/was your supply or the neighbours but it looks like the cable has been cut:
1681225039341.png

It's possibly folded back under your flashing but I dont thik it's the case.

Talking of flashing:
1681225200035.png

It's a bit difficult to tell from the pic but I reckon you and your neighbour need to get it looked at.

What's on the other end of the overhead line, behind the camera? I've known of cases of long abandoned and disconnected cable and poles which the DNO have no records of and refuse to accept any responsibility for. One farmer I know found plenty of use for the half dozen or so poles across his fields and used the wire for fencing.

Thanks for the replies,

The cable in question does not go anywhere, it’s cut inside the roof, and next door neighbour has newer underground supply also, which comes from completely separate electricity poles.

If you trace the redundant lines back they just go back to what looks like a junction box a few poles away.

Surely it would be standard practice to remove the redundant equipment at time of the new supply being fitted, the electric pole in my garden isn’t in great condition so you’d think they’d be responsible to remove it on safety grounds?!

How much do you reckon the removal of the equipment would cost?

I know the roof/lead are an absolute shambles, but it is 300 years old… this summer’s job is to strip and replace

I'm assuming you are fairly new owners of the property, if that is the case it's possible the owners at the time of the power replacement said to leave it there to avoid the disruption/mess.

Just as you do, I would expect the removal to be free of charge, if nothing else to reduce their liabilities. Unless there is any danger this will not be very near the top of the list for removal or even inspection.

Yeh that’s what worries me, that it ends up taking a long time, I have been in the property for 8 years , it’s just never really bothered me before, but now that I’m away to work on the roof it’s obviously now an issue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back