Shower Connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have removed an electric shower to replace it with a thermostatic one and an electric pump.

My question is can I connect the power for the pump into the redundant electric shower power supply which has its own fuse on the fuse box.

I was going to fit a fused switch between the pump and the Old switch just as added safety.

Advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You're right, you'll need to fuse down the supply to match the rating of your pump. It's not a perfect solution though.

You should also down size the mcb to protect the circuit.

Also be aware of safe zones in the bathroom.

May be better to use a spur from a lower rated circuit such as a ring main.

Sorry Spike, I'll have to disagree.
The fuse in the main board is there to protect the CABLE that runs from the fuseboard. We do not know the size of the cable or the fuse but if we assume that the cable is 6mm and the fuse is 32amp then this should stay as it is.

On the end of the cable he should put a switched fused spur (an RCD one if there isnt one fitted at the main board). This should have the appropriate fuse recommended by the pump manufacturer.

Yes you're right, the cable is already protected. My thinking was that the circuit was dedicated to just a pump, which could be protected by an mcb rather than a BS1362. As you point out, it's not necessary.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies much appreciated, it is a 32 amp on its own RCD the switch is already in the airing cupboard and thats where the new fused switch will go. It cost a fortune to have the shower connected last year and it seemed a shame for it to be redundant.

But her who knows best :rolleyes: no longer wants an electric shower she will probably change her mind when its all done and want the electric one put back :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back