Digital shower installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice please on installation of aquasilia quartz digital shower. the pump,all electrical connections other than telephone type control cable connector will be in adjacent room to bathroom. As its not a power shower, merely assisted pump system and not in the bathroom does this need to be covered by part p? Is it ok to connect, as the diagrams supplied suggest, directly to a switched fuse outlet without Mcb protection? the consumer unit is old rewritable fuses, but expected to be completely replaced in next 5 years.

Sponsored Links
All electrical work must comply to "part p" regardless of location or type, it'sw building regulation and a legal requirement.
You are wanting to know if this work is considered non-notifiable or notifiable?

If no electrical connection or related equipment within the bath/shower room, then I would say non-not!
Have you a link to the MI?
If you have new cabling that is buried within wall to and from FCU? Then it is likely that RCD protection will be required.

The work described is notifiable, because there is wiring / cabling within the bathroom.

Sponsored Links
I can clarify that my interst was in whether it was notifiable or non notifiable as the supply will be surface mounted in conduit in the airing cupboard in the next door room then no power is within the bathroom. As it is also a new fixed spur from existing circuit I believe all the work is non notifiable given previous comments.
The only cable to break the bathroom wall is the control wire which is not mains to my knowledge as it is in telephone type connection. This is within wall and sealed into temperature control switch.

My instinct is to wire the Switch fuse outlet as a fixed 30ma switch in any case.

Providing there is no mains electrical equipment or cabling or connections within the bath/shower room it's non-not.
If you are installing any new electrical cables that are within the walls, buried less than 50mm without mechanical protection, that cable requires protecting be 30mA RCD. Not just the load cable from FCU but also the supply cable to it. So a RCD/FCU will not do as it will only protect the load side.

Providing there is no mains electrical equipment or cabling or cannections within the bath/shower room it's non-not.
That would certainly be a common sense view, but is it what 'the law' actually says? 3(a) of Schedule 4 of the Building Regs appears to allow this sort of ELV (assuming that's what it is) wiring without notification - provided that it is not in a 'special location' - but one imagines that this cable will probably be terminated in zone 1 or 2 of a bathroom (i.e. a special location).

Kind Regards, John

Now I have managed to see the spec and understand the set up a little better, although the sensor is installed outside the bath/shower room, it seem a 5V dc supply will be at the control of the shower.

Now I have managed to see the spec and understand the set up a little better, although the sensor is installed outside the bath/shower room, it seem a 5V dc supply will be at the control of the shower.
So do you agree with me that, daft though it is, it would appear that this would actually be notifiable in terms of 'the word of the law'?

Kind Regards, John

So do you agree with me that, daft though it is, it would appear that this would actually be notifiable in terms of 'the word of the law'?
<tick>In terms of 'the word of the law'
I think this is one of those cases in which, if we weren't writing 'in public', we would (nearly!) all agree on how to treat that particular bit of the word of the law :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back