Removal of Electric Shower - Installation of HP/Combi Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My plumber is redoing my bathroom and has requested that I arrange for a 3amp spur to be available for the installation of a Digital HP/Combi Shower.

I have two options but not sure which is the best one to choose.

1. When the old electric shower is removed, I replace the 40Amp MCB with a 6amp MCB, leave the 6mm T&E and fit a 3amp socket on the end.

or

2. I have an electrical socket in the loft ( right next to where the Digital Shower is being installed). I could wire a 3amp plug on the end of the shower unit and simply plug it in next to the boiler.

Are either/both to code?

Sponsored Links
Use option 1.

You dont need to change the MCB either, you can simply put an FCU on the end of the cable with a 3A fuse.

replace the 40Amp MCB
Why?

with a 6amp MCB
Why 6A?

leave the 6mm T&E
Yup.

and fit a 3amp socket on the end.
No. An FCU

screenshot_392.jpg

with a 3A fuse in it.

I could wire a 3amp plug on the end of the shower unit
A plug with a 3A fuse in it.

Are either/both to code?
Yes/yes.

thanks.

Re: reducing the 40Amp to 6Amp, I just thought perhaps it was best to limit the Ampage on the circuit for safety ( at source). I happened to have a 6Amp MCB I could use.

I was thinking of an FCU, couldn't remember the name!

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Is this circuit protected by RCD?
You don't have to replace 40A breaker but it will do no harm.
If you have no RCD protection on this circuyit, it would be required that you did, so either swap MCB for RCBO or install a fused RCD unit, rather than a fused connection unit.

I hope the plumber is able to test this work off for you and issue you the correct documents.

If you have no RCD protection on this circuyit, it would be required that you did
Why?
I suppose it's just about debatable, but unless you could successfully argue that the work had not resulted in anything 'new'/'different' (which I imagine would be a difficult argument) current regs require that anything ('new') in a bathroom (anywhere in bathroom, not just in zones) is RCD protected. That is, of course, if it is "in the bathroom".

Kind Regards, John

If I recall correctly BS7176 states in Section 701, that addition protection shall be provided for all low voltage circuits within a bathroom, by use of RCDs.
Surely BS761 defines a circuit that includes an appliance that is hard-wired to the installation.

You will find that MI will say that the installation must comply to the current requirements of BS7671.

And would it not be reasonable under part p, that this provision is applied for safety?

If I recall correctly BS7176 states in Section 701, that addition protection shall be provided for all low voltage circuits within a bathroom, by use of RCDs. Surely BS761 defines a circuit that includes an appliance that is hard-wired to the installation.
Indeed - that's what I just wrote. However, as BAS implied, if both the power source and the 'digital shower' were in the loft, then that probably would not apply. I'm not sure what this 'digital shower' consists of, or where it would be located.
You will find that MI will say that the installation must comply to the current requirements of BS7671.
Yes, very probably - although you now only have to "take that into account". However, as above, if it wasn't in a bathroom, and didn't involve any new 'buried' wiring, then BS7671 would probably not insist on RCD protection.
And would it not be reasonable under part p, that this provision is applied for safety?
If it were within a bathroom, yes.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back