Using Sleepers for Decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there I am looking to create a decked area in our garden, there is a small concreted area against the rear wall and then the garden follows on from this, so I would be looking to deck over the concrete and part of the garden, so my question is can I erect a wooden decked area using railway sleepers directly over the concreted area, see below for my inspiration and what im trying to do.

http://www.garden-design-pictures.com/wood-deck-design-proj-dkgwcl003.html
decking-deck-03-proj-dkgwcll003.jpg

Also like this
Jamie%20Wilson%20railway%20sleeper%20pictures_WEB.jpg

Sponsored Links
Are these original, reclaimed railway sleepers or new “look alike” pseudo sleepers?

You don’t want to be using original reclaimed sleepers. Nasty smelly things that are pumped full of toxic preservative which will make your garden smell like a disused railway goods yard when it gets hot & if used in high concentration on a decked area are possibly a health hazard!

New untreated oak such as the ones in the second picture would make a lovely albeit very expensive deck. Add to that the fact that many will be slightly warped or bowed making them very difficult to get a level surface.

New treated softwood type would be easier to work with but not as impressive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back