Using tap hot water for cooking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was cooking lunch today, and boiled the veg in water heated from the cold tap.

I then recalled that when our plumber fitted an unvented hot water cylinder he mentioned that you can use the hot water for brushing teeth and cooking. he said this is so as there is no tank in the loft.

This makes sense, and is more practical, but goes against everything that I was taught when growing up.

So, CAN you use hot water from a unvented cylinder for teeth brushing and cooking?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
CAN you use hot water from a unvented cylinder for teeth brushing and cooking?
Yes. You can drink it if you want.

The reason for not drinking hot water or water that's supplied from a loft cistern is that it's not sealed - cisterns are open to the air, the chlorine added to kill off bacteria can be lost to the atmosphere, and all kinds of contamination can get in such as dust, dirt, dead pigeons and the rest.

An unvented cylinder is completely sealed, so has nowhere for contaminants to get in other than from the water supply itself.
Same applies to a combination boiler.

Not drinking water from taps other than those supplied direct from the cold main was never a consideration in countries which have always had sealed water systems.
It's mostly a UK thing and all due to having stored water in loft cisterns. Other useless features included separate taps in the bathroom so that clean cold and contaminated hot were never combined, same with those kitchen mixers which had two separate pathways for the water right to the end of the outlet rather than mixing the water in the tap body.

if you have to drink water that's been in a loft tank, the hot water is safer, if it has been heated in the cylinder and kept hot for a while, this will pasteurise it and kill most microrganisms.

In countries with suspect water, that's a useful tip in hotels.

Only safe method to treat water to ensure it is safe to drink in this situation would be to boil it. Water heated in a cylinder is never likely to get hot enough to destroy all the pathogens floating about in it.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I use hot water from the tap for making tea and cooking only because it is quicker to bring it to the boil compared to cold water.

if you have to drink water that's been in a loft tank, the hot water is safer, if it has been heated in the cylinder and kept hot for a while, this will pasteurise it and kill most microrganisms.

In countries with suspect water, that's a useful tip in hotels.

Hmm. You are assuming that the stored water is hot enough. I think I would prefer to rely upon bottled water if the mains is suspect.

But I do think that water from a combi or UVHWC would be okay.

I fitted something similar which gave near boiling water from an extra tap in the kitchen.

I thought it was a bit of a luxury. But then the folding patio doors there cost about £14000 supply only!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back