Sludge in hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had problems with having no hot water and a plumber came and said there was an airlock. He put a tubing from the cold water tap to the hot water tap and used the pressure to unblock it. The hot water started to flow freely. The property has been left empty for 3 weeks and the problem has arisen again. This time the plumber has said there is debris in the hot water cylinder and a new cylinder is recommended which is very expensive.
is there any way that this gunge in the hot water cylinder can be removed. The cylinder seems to be in fairly good order and replacing it seems to be an easy option for the plumber

Sponsored Links
I may be talking bolex here - but is it possible to remove the immersion element and agitate the water to disperse the gunk so that is drains away?

May be an idea to do this but would not solve the inherent problem as the gunk is still there but floating around

How about a pond pump? Old wet and dry vac? Got to be cheaper than a new tank.

Sponsored Links
I may be talking bolex here - but is it possible to remove the immersion element and agitate the water to disperse the gunk so that is drains away?
You`re not , Joe ;) . That cylinder needs looking @ inside to see what`s going on . Let`s hope the plumber can get the immersion out without distorting the cylinder :rolleyes:

this is not a sludge problem . check ballvalve in the big tank in loft is filling the tank , then clear the air lock like the plumber did

Actually the last time I saw this problem is was insulation that had fallen into the tank in the loft. Surely the plumber would have ruled out a problem up top before quoting for a new cylinder?

If there's crud in the copper cylinder, then there's crud in the header tank too....we get a fair bit from old rusting water mains.
Immersion heater out, in with a wet vacuum and extension pipes.
John :)

It would seem that getting the gunge out is a viable option, if you know what to do and how to do it. I will probably still need to get the plumber to do it for fear of causing damage but chaeper than a new copper cylinder

Old wet and dry vac seems the ideal solution and then attaching hose to the hot and cold taps to remove the airlock - Are you all in agreement to this as a solution

Nip up into the loft with a torch first.

I have been looking at the mechanics of indirect vented cylinders and cannot see how gunge will block the hot water supply to the taps/shower. The hot water is heated and rises and is taken from the top of the cylinder and not the bottom.

Gunge is heavier than water so sinks so how can gunge at the bottom block the pipe at the top??

Am I missing something?

are there any hot water pipe runs that run a long way or high up, ie higher than the top of the hot water tank?

stop look on the internet and go and see if the cold tank in loft is filling up press the valve down does water rush in :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back