Using UK Appliances in the USA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!
I'm travelling to the USA (I'm from London, UK) :D
and would like to know what I need to use a UK appliance in the USA (New York, LA- North America)
I've researched and think i need a step up voltage converter but I'm totally lost on the maximum wattage/voltage terms, where to find them on my items and what the max is i can use?
Can anyone help?! I'm totally confused! :oops:
Are there any affordable products (under £30) that you can recommended?
Thank you so much for your time and advice!! :D :LOL:

Sponsored Links
unless its got a "universal power supply" it wont work.

for example: most modern cam corders have them.

it says 120 -240v operation ( or similar) yuor pc may have one (have a look)

if it does you need a us to uk adaptor, NOT a european adaptor.

when i went to America i got one over there (couple of bucks)

regarding your phone, is it TRI-BAND if not it won't work, (i see from a websearch the k 750i is triband) if it is have you asked your service provider to enable it (might not have to but my service provider you do)

The charger for the Dell should be universal, you will only need an adaptor. Most PC PSU's are Universal these days, but if you give Dell a call they can confirm this.

The S/E 750i will have a universal charger for sure. I have one as a spare phone and have just checked the charger..it is rated at 100-250Vac 50/60Hz..

Edit

I also checked my laptop PSU and that too is rated at 100-250V ac 50/60Hz...Now my Laptop is a ROCK not a Dell, but as Dell are used by the majority of business users I would be surprised if they did not have universal PSU's..but do check with Dell.

Sponsored Links
nickfs said:
I've researched and think i need a step up voltage converter
breezer said:
unless its got a "universal power supply" it wont work.
:?: :?:

nickfs said:
I'm totally lost on the maximum wattage/voltage terms, where to find them on my items and what the max is i can use?
Somewhere near where the supply goes in there should be a plate or sticker with the consumption on. If not, try the owner's handbook.

Decide which items you'll want to run at the same time, add up the power consumption, add a bit for luck (it doesn't matter if the converter has a higher capacity than you need, but it does matter if it's too low).

Please note - the US supply is not only a different voltage, it is also a different frequency, and this may cause problems with anything that has a motor in it.

If you bother to check out the Dell website you will find that ALL their laptop chargers are 100-250V ac 50/60 Hz, so there is no problem here, it only needs a plug adaptor as I said in my earlier post.

The phone will work as I have said..not only does the PSU work with a plug adaptor, the phone is TriBand..

is it me? or is there a typo?

Big_Spark said:
If you bother to check out the Dell website you will find that ALL their laptop chargers are not 100-250V ac 50/60 Hz, so there is no problem here, it only needs a plug adaptor as I said in my earlier post.

its this bit

Big_Spark said:
ALL their laptop chargers are not 100-250V ac 50/60 Hz, so there is no problem here, it only needs a plug adaptor as I said in my earlier post.

should the word "not" not be there?

sorry Big Spark I really am not having a dig, it just seems confusing, because if all chargers are not "100-250v ac 50 /60hz" that would imply ther could be a problem, I can only presume the word not should not be there?

OK - what am I missing?

You and B_S keep talking about "the Dell", "the phone", but the OP just mentions "appliances"....

ban-all-sheds said:
OK - what am I missing?

perhaps its just the way i read it, but read my post again s-l-o-w-l-y

i read it that if all dell laptop pc power supplies are not "universal" the there is a problem, but B_S says there isn't but he also said that you will only need a plug adaptor but that wont work because the laptop psu is noy universal.

and please don't use this post to upset B_S i just wondered is it the way i am reading it or a genuine typo

Breezer..many thanks..Yes it was a typo on my part and I have corrected it...Why the word NOT crept in is beyond me...I even re-read it to check it..and still missed it???

Nick has also edited the original post..Originally it mentioned a Dell Laptop and a Sony-Ericcson K750i mobile phone..

That was why Breezer and I replied as we did..

Big_Spark said:
Breezer..many thanks..Yes it was a typo on my part and I have corrected it...Why the word NOT crept in is beyond me...I even re-read it to check it..and still missed it???

I did wonder, thanks for clearing that up :)

breezer said:
ban-all-sheds said:
OK - what am I missing?

perhaps its just the way i read it, but read my post again s-l-o-w-l-y
I have done, and I've read the OP post very slowly and carefully..

i read it that if all dell laptop pc power supplies are not "universal" the there is a problem, but B_S says there isn't but he also said that you will only need a plug adaptor but that wont work because the laptop psu is noy universal.

and please don't use this post to upset B_S i just wondered is it the way i am reading it or a genuine typo
Forget the typo. No matter how carefully and slowly I read the entire thread, the first mention of "Dell" is in a B_S post, as is the first mention of "laptop", and the first mention of "phone" is in one of yours....

. . . . .
divider2a.GIF

Big_Spark said:
Nick has also edited the original post..Originally it mentioned a Dell Laptop and a Sony-Ericcson K750i mobile phone....
Oh FFS!!! Why did he do that??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back