Is there an adapter to plug 2 light bulbs into one socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm a fan of the new energy saver bulbs, but find that they are never quite as bright as they claim, when compared with regular bulb wattage equivalents.

For example I have a large hallway with one 150w conventional bulb. If I swap it for an equivalent energy saver bulb, it doesn't seem anywhere near as bright. Also that appears to be the most powerful energy saver bulb you can buy.

So is it possible to buy an adapter to plug 2 bulbs into one hanging socket, and if so where are these available please?

I could then plug in 2 energy saver bulbs to achieve the required brightness, which would still use a lot less than 150w in total.

I've found such adapters advertised on ebay for the USA, but no such luck in finding similar in the UK.. yet.

Sponsored Links
I've found such adapters advertised on ebay for the USA, but no such luck in finding similar in the UK.. yet.

I don't think you will, because I'm sure the same question has been asked before, and nobody ever came up with a supplier as far as I can remember. Couldn't you just install a second pendant in your hallway?

i think they were banned in theUK which is why you wont find one.
you could plug anoher one into each side and then have 4 outlets, but in them days people would also plug in the iron as well (no such thing as a toaster)

Yeah I've got an old one buried somewhere but they're frowned upon today.

You can buy CFL lamps right up to 60w (=300w allegedly) these days so I'd just try a brighter one. might have to try an electrical wholesalers or as far as the high street goes somewhere like ryness.

Sponsored Links
the ones which are equivalant to 125W don't seem too bad for a hall. (once warm of course).

I think it's the ones which are shaped like a normal bulb are bad ones ???

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...nd_Tubes_Index/Megaman_Clusterlite/index.html
MGCL60ES.JPG

One 60 watt energy saving lamp, equivalent to 325 watts of incandescent lighting. Problem sorted. :LOL:

I remember they used to be available at my local Woolworths, up until the end of the Eighties. They had one bulb straight down, and one at an angle at the side, and a push switch on the side. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

i think they were banned in theUK which is why you wont find one.
you could plug anoher one into each side and then have 4 outlets, but in them days people would also plug in the iron as well (no such thing as a toaster)
Yep I remember my great Aunt having the iron plugged into the light socket with one of those things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back