Electric light bulb adaptors?

BML

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to use these new energy saving bulbs but when I tried one equivalent to 100Watts in my study it was not bright enough so I wnet looking for an adaptor that would allow me to have two bulbs running from the one bulb holder.
I suppose that in these days of Aunty knows best I would not be able to find one and true to form I could not.
Does anyone know if such things are still available or do I have to build one myself?

Sponsored Links
How would you build one?

What type of bulbs are they?

If you could buy or build one, can you envisage what it would look like, and would there be room inside your light fitting for two bulbs?

They tend to lie about equivalent CFL light output ratings.

I've seen CFL's with B22 bases up to 30w though, that should be ample, if not slightly more.

I use 25W CFLs which are a bit brighter than 100W filament. In open lampshades I use the large globe ones which do not dazzle and are IMO quite attractive. they are a bit dearer than stick lamps but last for years.

20W should be bright enough.

I believe they often say the 18W FLs are equivalent to 100W but you would have to look for the lumen output to be sure. you need at least 1,000 lumens, I think.

You do not say what lamps you tried that were not bright enough.

Sponsored Links
I use 25W CFLs which are a bit brighter than 100W filament. In open lampshades I use the large globe ones which do not dazzle and are IMO quite attractive. they are a bit dearer than stick lamps but last for years.

20W should be bright enough.

I believe they often say the 18W FLs are equivalent to 100W but you would have to look for the lumen output to be sure. you need at least 1,000 lumens, I think.

You do not say what lamps you tried that were not bright enough.

Yeah I stuck some 24w ones in for someone recently and they def. exceeded 100w old money.

A rep was trying to flog these in a wholesaler the other day, they're quite compact and a nicer alternative to sticks:

http://www.omicronuk.com/omicron_energy_saving_minilotus.htm

this is my sort. I bought a bunch of them from TLC but I think they have discontinued them, but have a few on clearance.

LALEG11ES.JPG

they say
Equivalent Wattage:
11 watt = 60 watt conventional lamp
15 watt = 75 watt
20 watt = 100 watt
24 watt = 125 watt

Damn Rob... I read the first two posts and decided to post that... and then scroll down and find you already havec :( :LOL:

Thought you didn't approve of big clives website, btw....

I would buy a bayonet fitting socket if that’s what one calls the socket that hangs down from the ceiling. Connect it to the same sort of cable that the current socket hangs from. Unscrew the cover from the pendant holder and splice the additional wire to that so that the two sockets are hanging next to each other

I don’t know how to describe the current energy saving bulb other than to say that it looks like three short flu recent tubes doubled up and it is supposed to produce an equivalent 100 Watts.

There would be room inside the light fitting for two bulbs because the light shade is a large ball like paper shade.

I’m not sure what is meant by, “CFL” and although 30w seems right I have yet to find
one.

I think the Sputnik is lovely but where can one get such a device?

Many thanks for all your suggestions.

CFL= compact flourescent light, basically yer "energysaver"

Can't remember where I got it from but I've got a 30w floating about on the van.

I'm getting there but one thing I note is that many of the energy bulbs are srew fitting while all of my bulb fittings are bayonet. Why is this?

maybe because most bulbs are made in and for countries where Es is more popular.

Es plastic lampholders were often referred to as continental holders.

I dont think they ever liked the idea you could slip and touch the two

prongs on a bc holder.

you can get bc though, most are only warm white colour, if you search

though you can get cool white which are significally brighter

Also you can get

http://www.remtrak.com/lighting/lighting_fittings.htm

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back