Replacing Spot 14 Lights with Energy Saving Bulb with Flex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am a tenant, recently moved and the flat has a open kitchen plan with nearly 14 X 50Watts spot lights has 3 separate switches to control them. I am not tight but, I would like to save money and energy by removing all the bulbs and replacing the centre bulb (by using adapter) with a flex bayonet cap, so that I can hang one simple energy saving bulb. Can this possible without making any changes by a simple adaptor/convertor? If yes then where can I buy one. If no, then what are the options?

thanks in advance
Krish

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you have a large kitchen, so be aware that it might be a bit dark with just one central ES bulb!

However, if you want to go ahead, what I would do is find out which switch controls the bank of lights that includes the most central one.

Switch off the power to your lights at the fuse board (double check by trying the switches). Gently pull down the central most spotlight. If they are 12V, it should have a transformer attached (oblong 'box'). Remove the cable entering (ie before) the transformer and use this to connect to a pendant light fitting with ES bulb.

Remove all the spotlight bulbs and switch the power back on.

Hopefully this will do the trick - let us know how you get on

SB

The number of times i've posted this link:
GUFRD9W.JPG

This is a 9 watt energy saving downlight.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GUFRD9W.html to buy.

If you just want to change the lamps,
GUCFL9X.JPG

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GUCFL9.html to buy
BUT be aware, these will protude from your fixed lampholders by about 1.5 centimetres.

Switch off the power to your lights at the fuse board (double check by trying the switches). Gently pull down the central most spotlight. If they are 12V, it should have a transformer attached (oblong 'box'). Remove the cable entering (ie before) the transformer and use this to connect to a pendant light fitting with ES bulb.

Remove all the spotlight bulbs and switch the power back on.

Hopefully this will do the trick - let us know how you get on

SB

All, thanks for your valuable input.

SB I tried to open the spot light unit, and I feel the unit top/head is wider than the ceiling cut out, I may be wrong. But I unable to pull the full unit out. I am attaching some pics for your understanding.

Also I think its not 12V bulbs.

P1010635.jpg

P1010637.jpg

P1010646.jpg

thanks
Krish

Sponsored Links
As a tennant who doesn't own the light fittings, you will lose your deposit and be charged to make good the work you do.

The Landlord will hire an electrican and it will cost you.

Might I suggest you simply remove all the GU10 230v lamps and replace one or four with LE ones as have been posted.

Crafty said:
The number of times i've posted this link:
GUFRD9W.JPG

This is a 9 watt energy saving downlight.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GUFRD9W.html to buy.

If you just want to change the lamps,
GUCFL9X.JPG

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GUCFL9.html to buy
BUT be aware, these will protude from your fixed lampholders by about 1.5 centimetres.

Please note these lamps are NOT
a direct replacement for normal GU10 halogen lamps
as they are a little longer (20mm) and will protrude from fittings with fixed lampholders

20mm are they have a giraffe :eek:

Chri5 said:
As a tennant who doesn't own the light fittings, you will lose your deposit and be charged to make good the work you do.

The Landlord will hire an electrican and it will cost you.

Might I suggest you simply remove all the GU10 230v lamps and replace one or four with LE ones as have been posted.

thanks for the info Chris, but I find those bulbs are expensive and when I move to new place, then these LE bulbs might not be of any use to me, and as spot lights are inside the ceiling they do not spread their brightness to the whole room, unlike when you hang a standard bulb in the center of the room.

I am sure I can fix it back to its original state if someone gudie me in taking out the spot light unit. My whole idea is to save some money and energy.

LE bulbs would be my last option. I already have the necessary items and bulbs for fitting a BC bulb and I do not want to re-invest on these new bulbs.

cheers
Krish.

Yes, they're mains halogen not 12V lights, so won't have transformers.

If you can't remove the lights, it may just be that the 'wings' are a little stiff. If you can pull one side down first (mind fingers, the wings bite!) it's generally easier.

Good luck

SB

krisssssssssh, the lamps i posted are much better than standard halogens. Who said anything about taking them with you when you move?

a standard halogen lamp has about 50 degree beam angle - they produce a very narrow beam and lots of shadows. These lamps dont have a beam as such, they spread their light evenly. You will find them much more pleasant and might find the room brighter than before.

The lights you posted pictures of have a terminal block attached to the top. See the metal riveted to the side of the enclosure - that is an L shape with the terminals on top, and may bend outwards at the top - so you have to remove it at an angle.

Chri5, I made that clear in my post, you didn't need to repeat it.

Crafty said:
The lights you posted pictures of have a terminal block attached to the top. See the metal riveted to the side of the enclosure - that is an L shape with the terminals on top, and may bend outwards at the top - so you have to remove it at an angle.

He is the pic, how it looks now.
thanks all, especially crafty and sb.
P1010656.jpg

What on earth have you done?? Is there a cable strain relief in there? At least replace the old light with a ceiling rose.

Spark123 said:
What on earth have you done?? Is there a cable strain relief in there? At least replace the old light with a ceiling rose.

Yes, cable strain on the both the ends, one in the BC cap and another at the terminal.

Its not my own flat, otherwise I would have fixed a ceiling rose.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back