Using washing machine motor for sanding disc/belt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone used a washing machine motor to build their own sanding disc/belt.
There are numerous videos on youtube showing how to undertake this but I wonder if anyone has experience of how reliable such a unit would be.

The other question - the videos all relate to using a brushed motor, but I have one of the hotpoint brushless 3 phase induction motors which obviously runs off 240v mains somehow, and wonder if a conversion would be possible with this.

Sponsored Links
I think the biggest issue is fixing the sander disc to the drive system......getting it square and secure etc.
Just something to ponder!
I believe that some washer motors require DC to give the reverse rotation but I can’t qualify that or suggest electrical connections.
John :)

Unless you use some form of speed reduction/control it will probably rotate at almost 3,000rpm.
That's a very fast speed for a sander that could very quickly reduce your wood more than you intend it to.
Bench top disc sander/linishers are cheap enough these days and obviously much safer than a home made one. Plus they come with a lot more safety features and at least a 12 month guarantee.

Sponsored Links
but I have one of the hotpoint brushless 3 phase induction motors which obviously runs off 240v mains somehow,

The "somehow" will most likely be a variable frequency inverter controlled by the program stored in the PCB. Without the ability to control the inverter the motor will not be useable.

I’ve posted this on here before so just a repost as it seems to fit the topic!

The worse bit of diy wiring I’ve ever seen was when we moved into a new council house with a garden in the early seventies. I was about 14 at the time. My dad went out and bought a secondhand 'home made' electric lawnmower from someone who lived in a block of flats. It was basically a cylinder push lawnmower that the bloke had mounted an electric washing machine motor on to, welded a couple of pulleys on it and connected them with a fan belt. However, the cable coming out of the motor (no switch, just connect up and go) went to a single socket outlet bolted to a piece of wood on the handle. Consequently, the extension lead had a three pin plug at either end! My dad was excitedly setting it up when he got it home and told me to plug it in indoors when I noticed that and told him it was dangerous. He told me not to be silly and touched the pins at his end and promptly got an electric shock. He still used it after that but plugged the lawnmower end of the cable in first and got one of us to be switchman!

Loving all the safety features!

In those days safety was achieved ( most of the time ) by common sense and self preservation. One looked out for danger and took care to avoid it,

Today Health and Safety regulations ensure that nothing can be dangerous. :mrgreen:

Why waste time looking for danger when danger is banned by Health and Safety regulations......

( That was typed while I was in cynical mode )

Yes, it would appear someone crept along in the middle of the night and stole all the common sense and self preservation.
I did mock up a lathe with a washing machine motor from a twin tub but it was a bit unstable and it used to vibrate the kitchen table across the floor. LOL
We would run along back yard walls knowing if we fell off we would possibly get hurt so we used our in-built self preservation mode to try and ensure we didn't fall. We would climb unassailable trees and hang upside down by our legs from a stout branch, shimmy up a drainpipe when were playing hide & seek at night so we were above the glare of the street lamps, Talk to my grandkids about those days and they ask why did I behave so stupidly. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back