V4073A CH won't shut off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a V4073A with a worn out actuator (teeth worn down). Thanks to posts on this forum, I understand that although I can replace the actuator, the real problem is usually that the valve itself is stuck. However, I've removed the actuator, and manually turned the valve with a pair of pliers. It moves pretty easily throughout its whole travel, and seems like it switches OK between CH and HW (the correct pipes get warm). But if I leave it on HW only, after a few minutes the CH pipe is hot, and after 20 minutes, the radiators start to get warm.

What could be causing this? Do the balls themselves get distorted or worn down? Is there anything I can do without draining the system and replacing the whole valve?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
The valve should turn easily by hand without needing a pair of pliers.

It sounds as if the valve is letting by, which suggests a worn ball.

I take it your valve is the version where the actuator can be completely removed (small bump on the cover). If so, you can get a replacement ball kit, part no 272752A/U CARD.

You have to drain down below the valve level, but you don't have to replace the complete valve.

Thanks! That is very helpful -- replacing the ball is a job I can tackle myself, whereas dealing with the compression joints is beyond me. I will have a go!

Ben

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back