Vailant combi boiler VCW GB242 HE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could some kind soul help me to solve a problem im having with this vailant combi boiler. When calling for head or hot water the fan comes on the pump works but their is a clicking noise on the pcb board and when the main flame comes on at the burner it rises and falls with the clicking noise from the pcb board. I suspect it could be the pcb that is faulty or could it be something else like the gas valve. Thanks in advance. :rolleyes: ;)

Sponsored Links
Gasman said:
How long does the flame stay on for?

Thanks for replying matey.

The flame on the main burner rises to full burner pressure then goes very low then high again for about four times then works ok. This happens every time hot water or central heating is called for, this all happens in about 10 seconds.

Does this clicking noise sound like it is sparking or like a relay?

This qiute a difficult boiler to fault find on so I'll probably be asking you a few questions before we get to the route of the problem.

I don't think it is the gas valve though.

Happy to help ;)

Sponsored Links
Gasman said:
Does this clicking noise sound like it is sparking or like a relay?

This qiute a difficult boiler to fault find on so I'll probably be asking you a few questions before we get to the route of the problem.

I don't think it is the gas valve though.

Happy to help ;)

Hiya gasman,

I have finaly solved the mystery, it seems the govoner at the gas meter had a pin hole in the diaphram which in turn caused the gas supply to the combi to fluctuate. I called Transco who came and replaced the lot, the boiler seems to be working fine now apart from a water leak on the blow off valve, sigh, good boilers but crappy when they go wrong.
Thanks again. :LOL:

Thats a difficult one to diagnose on a forum. At least you've got to the route of the problem. :rolleyes: :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back