Vailant VCW sine 18 T3 WF No hot water.

Sponsored Links
Sorry Tony, I live a couple of miles away from the boiler and the old friend I'm helping with this is away today.

As I recall, we tried the switch on both positions and there was no response, certainly not from the burner anyway and, the shaft on the diverter certainly didn't move to trip either microswitch.
I'll double check this in the morning when he's back.

Regards, Paul.

It might be jammed in the up position or a switch is high resistance.

It is an old boiler!

,Tony

Sorry Tony, I live a couple of miles away from the boiler and the old friend I'm helping with this is away today.

As I recall, we tried the switch on both positions and there was no response, certainly not from the burner anyway and, the shaft on the diverter certainly didn't move to trip either microswitch.
I'll double check this in the morning when he's back.

Regards, Paul.

HI Daddypine. The following information should answer all your questions on page 18.
[PDF]VCW Sine 18 20-1 25-1 T3W - AC Wilgar and
PDF]VCW Sine 18 spare parts list - GasBoilerForums.com page 74

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
OP, the unit in Fig 56 is obviously not sensing a DHW demand. Faulty diaphragm, jammed shaft in gland or less likely faulty switches.

But before dealing with that, the unit in Fig 66 seems may be jammed in the up position.

Even without the 56 unit working the boiler can still give DHW if the preheat is on. But that requires the 66 unit to be working!

Tony

Spent some quality time with the boiler today, a little more confused now so here is where I think things are at:-

With no central heating on, with the right hand preheat switch up or down, when you turn a tap on, water runs through the boiler but nothing happens and the microswitches above what the parts catalogue calls the flow switch (diverter in bottom left hand corner?) are both open.

Switch on central heating for 3-5 minutes with the right hand control switch (preheat?) in the top, solid colour square position, the water in small heat exchanger (small tank bottom left) gets hot. At this point, the left hand microswitch plate rises up and switch is made and the right hand one has a gap above the switch button of about 5mm which suggests the wax capsule is moving. Didn't notice this the other day but I did put a little WD40 on it 2 days ago, maybe that has had some effect?. Turn on hot tap now and water goes hot until the small tank is empty then runs cold, the boiler does not light in response to hot tap being opened.

At this point (with central heating running) if we leave the hot tap on and manually press the right hand microswitch, we get hot water at the taps for as long as we keep the switch pressed.

Joe informs me that three years ago the boiler had a brand new solenoid and pcb and says that since then the temperature adjustment dial is not correct anymore, even when on low, the temperature is higher than it's ever been and the radiators are a lot hotter.

Hope this gives more clues, Regards,
Paul.

It does sound as if the wax element is actually working.

It could just be that the adjustable height for the switch operating platform is incorrect.

Unfortunately without seeing it, or another one, I am not sure there is much that I can say.

When I see them they seem obvious to me.

But perhaps as the wax is OK you could proceed to repair the water section underneath.

But regardless with the right repair you would still get good hot water with the HW preheat function.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back