Vaillant 4 series

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a prev post simond states Vaillant 4 series are poor quality and has had problems as i have a 418 on order and don't any problems i've still time to change order but has anybody else got problems with vaillant .that's why i'm buying a vaillant i still have time to chnage to a Worcester Borch

Sponsored Links
Well, we have fitted one 418 to date and it blew its PCB up when we closed the door. This is a new product and I suspect we had one of the first, it took two weeks to arrive.

Further investigation revealed 6 long lengths of what looks like stainless steel swarf inside the PCB box. When we opened the door they shorted out the PCB. It was replaced by Vaillant the following day. We've kept some of the swarf but our Vaillant rep has changed 4 times in 12 months so i don't expect anyone will be interested.

The customer gave us hell; I must have taken ten calls from him in 24hrs, although we explained that it would take longer to get a new boiler than Vaillant coming to repair it.

I do like 6-8 series Vaillant products but the build quality of the 4 series has been a real disappointment. You are really buying a Gloworm in a Vaillant case, and in my eyes, this really devalues the brand. I doubt if we will fit another 4 series.

Personally I'd fit a Viessmann 100 compact in preference to this. Unfortunately the 4 series job was LPG, and Viessmann do not make a 100 series LPG compatible boiler.

Fit an 18ri wb lovely to fit,fitted dozens and had only one damaged worcester badge

I've found nothing wrong with the 400 series. I still recommend them and fit them. Its all down to installation quality ;)

Although my Vaillant rep as changed I still keep a personal contact with the old one who always sorts anything out that I need asap ;)

Simon, I would change my sparky if he cant notice deposits of metal swarf on the pcb whilst he is wiring it. One reason I do everything myself, at least I know I'm giving the customer the best for their installation :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Can't speak for reliability. Have fitted 428 and some of previous Ecomax pro 18 & 28 range no faults so far but early days. However consider noise levels (due to the Giannoni heat exchanger/burner assembly) unacceptable when fitted to a large system and at full load (thankfully not in rooms where customer affected). In fact I install oil boilers up to 45kW that are quieter. Have to say prefer WB Ri and Buderus 600's that I've used.

Gas4you,

The swarf strands were inside the PCB cover, the one you don't lift to access the wiring terminals. They moved when the door was opened during final commissioning.

I note your comments regarding the likelihood of this particular problem happening to you, and the inference that we are not as skilled or as careful as yourself. The fitter concerned has gas, industrial gas, LPG and OFTEC tickets, and 25 years experience. We also have Part P electrical.

There are always new things to learn in this job; but not necessarily from you.

Excuse me gentlemen, but both of you are at the top end of installers.

gas4u does it mostly himself I think which means he is in control and I expect does an excellent job.

Simon runs a larger operation and relies on the best people he can get. He strives for the best technical installations but at the end of the day he has to rely on his employees. They are always on the lookout for top quality staff !

I always visually inspect absolutely everything inside a boiler that can be seen but I suppose that I might miss something unexpected like metalic swarf inside a sealed PCB enclosure.

Tony Glazier

simond said:
Gas4you,

The swarf strands were inside the PCB cover, the one you don't lift to access the wiring terminals. They moved when the door was opened during final commissioning.

I note your comments regarding the likelihood of this particular problem happening to you, and the inference that we are not as skilled or as careful as yourself. The fitter concerned has gas, industrial gas, LPG and OFTEC tickets, and 25 years experience. We also have Part P electrical.

Simon, I am only qualified in domestic NG, LPG, Part P, Un-vented, energy efficiency and fully trained by Vaillant on their ecotec and solar range, so you have me there I cannot compete with your qualifiactions. As we all know paper qualifications do not necessarily make a good worker. It's all down to mental attitude and whether the individual cares or has pride in his job. I do not know you or your organisation or employees so cannot directly comment.

When accessing the wiring blocks on the ecotec the pcb cover comes off completly therefore accessing the whole pcb as if you were replacing it.

I always check every pcb connection during install for the likliehood of them being disturbed during transit.

All I can go on ie our respective track records and from yor previous posts about seals and electrics and now this, I will with respect stick to my way of installing/commissioning.

Oh by the way it should not matter what rep you have as obviously you can get your own priority help via your company's '49' number!

By the way 'thanks' for replying to my previous e-mail :rolleyes:

Tony, sorry about the way you feel, I always respect your replies to a point, but the saturady in question I took exceptional offence as I previously stated and felt totally justified with my response to that time.

I take your point about not knowing me 'personally' and will adjust my profile accordingly. You could have always found me via my web site though ;)

Simond

What do you mean by a glow-worm in a vaillant box,is it poor quality parts or poor quality manufacturing, I'm just getting rid of a Glow-worm boiler and don't want another in any shape or form.My set-up will be a Ultrasteel stainless indirect cylinder and vaillant boiler possibly with one tank in the loft installer was undecided whether to keep it in, a 418 was mentioned but would another model be ok if i contact him and say i don't want a 4 series installed What would you suggest ?.Install date towards end of april would he be upset for changing my mind does it cause problems

Thanks

Shaun

I would recommend the Vaillant 400 series and the Vaillant Unistor. Connect these via the VR65 control unit and the Ecotec and unistor will talk to each other vis ebus to provide plenty of hot water at the greatest efficiency. Your installer can commission all together via his laptop plugged in to the system for the greatest of ease ;)

simond said:
Gas4you,

The 'cover' is one complete unit, not a seperate wiring connection cover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back