vaillant 828e boiler shutdown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a vaillant 828e ecomax. The problem is that it is shutdown in hot water mode. I have plenty of hot water but no heat. The boiler shuts down in hot water mode regardless of whether it is being asked for heat or water.
On the advice of vaillant, my heating engineer has replaced sensors and the pump. The diverter valve motor is working (was replaced about 6 months ago). Pcp appears to be fine.
Anybody got any suggestions? We have been on hold to vaillant for over an hour now so not much help there!
Thanks for reading :)

Sponsored Links
Ok, let's get this clear:

You say it SHUTS DOWN in H/W mode, but you hae plenty of H/W? Makes no sense.

Does the boiler FIRE UP when a hot water tap is opened?

On the advice of vaillant, my heating engineer has replaced sensors and the pump. The diverter valve motor is working (was replaced about 6 months ago). Pcp appears to be fine.

Anybody got any suggestions? We have been on hold to vaillant for over an hour now so not much help there!
Thanks for reading :)

I think you need to replace your boiler engineer for someone who can repair boilers himself.

Vaillant have pretty much shut down their telephone lines and virtually never answer calls any more.

I presume you mean you have a good flow of water from the hot tap but its cold because the boiler is not working.

Tony

Hi
When there is demand for hot water, the boiler fires up and I get hot water. When the tap is switched off it shuts down in hot water mode. this is regardless of whether the controls are calling for heat.
Alas I have a service contract so no control over which heating engineer to call :D he would agree with you that none of it makes sense. I wondered whether there could be a leak in a hot water pipe somewhere??? He thinks not. The pump was replaced today but apart from sounding a bit rattley and triggering error codes e12 & f20 hasn't made much difference.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi. Diverter definitely still motors. Would i still get hot water if it was heat exchanger?

I am very sorry but quite apart from any problem with your boiler you are unable to clearly explain what you boiler is actually.

If we knew then we could work out whats likely to be wrong with it.

Can you write down how you would explain whats happening and then get someone else to check what you have written and then when they have edited it please post it here for us to consider.

Tony

Hi agile
I'm sorry, i said at the beginning what my boiler was - didnt realise I needed to repeat myself on each post!
I have a vaillant 828 ecomax
hot water works fine
no heating at all
when the boiler isn't making hot water it has code 6 displayed
according to my manual this means shut down in hot water mode
is this clearer for you?
not sure if it was you who recommended i change my heating engineer but whilst he hasn't fixed the problem he is never rude to me. posting a reply is optional you know. i didn't this forum is intended as an avenue for those that know what they are talking about to slate those that don't.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: thats funny from both parties......i must admit tho after reading ure first posts i thort 2 myself...."mmmm what the f**k is he talking about!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

So.... i'm a little confused. Just to clarify, the hot water works fine but the heating doesn't. the way it sounds to me is that the heating isn't firing back up after you've used the hot tap. Does the heating work at all?

Hi agile

I have a vaillant 828 ecomax

hot water works fine

no heating at all

when the boiler isn't making hot water it has code 6 displayed
according to my manual this means shut down in hot water mode
is this clearer for you?

I have a manual for an Ecomax 828/2 E.

This has status codes like S 6 which means "heating system, fan over run".

It has fault codes like F 20 which means "overheat activated".

But I dont find any codes in my book saying "shut down in hot water mode".

Perhaps you have a different book? Mine is 83 41 77_14 GB

We really need fault codes to try to work out whats happening to your boiler.

The F 20 you mentioned could well be triggered in DHW mode by a blocked plate heat exchanger. That fault is usually also characterised by the hot water alternating hot/cold.

What other information can you give us? Its the "F" fault codes that we really need.

You say there is no heating. Does the room stat seem to be working normally? Is the timeclock correctly set?

Tony

Hi Tony
Thanks for the reply. I think the confusion may be arising that my ecomax is not the second series but just 828e. and the codes are not the same between the two boilers.
the boiler does go through a cycling mode at regular intervals but will always end up on '6' (shutdown mode). if i call for hot water, i get hot water and the boiler display is '5'.
'4' is calling for heat but when it goes through it's cycle it never even flickers on to '4'!
The external controls appear to be fine. What 'should happen' if there is a fault there, is that the boiler would display '0' ie not calling for heat. this doesn't happen.
The boiler shuts down as i have described whether i am calling for heat or not but will restart for hot water.
i have requested a full manual from vaillant (i only have a tiny users operational manual) to get the fault codes.
Thanks for your time
michaela

I had similar on a glow-worm energy saver combi traced mine to a dripping tap preventing heating coming on or for short cycle.Basically pre heat kept over-riding central heating,To prove turn dhw off on boiler or rising main and see if heating comes on then.

If that was causing the problem then the boiler would be firing up regularly to perform the preheat.

That can also be caused by leaks in the hot water pipework.

I dont expect thats the cause but its still worth checking as described.

Without the ability to do further tests on the appliance I would be inclined to expect that the PCB might be faulty but before considering changing any expensive component I would have checked everything else on the boiler.

Unfortunately most of the people employed by Homeserve are not the best engineers and you have to put up with multiple visits before they fix a more significant fault.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back