Vaillant boiler leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have a Vaillant Ecotec 428 plus condensing (system) boiler- unvented system with hot water cylinder if that makes any difference. I have noticed today that we had a puddle of water under the boiler and sure enough on closer inspection a drip emerging from the left hand side of the casing. I've just unscrewed the front cover and definitely not delving deeper but from what I can ascertain it has the following symptoms:

- definitely doesn't leak when heating/hot water off.
- might be very slowly leaking when demand only for hot water, but when firing up heating from cold it drips quite a bit. It then seems to tail off or certainly does not drip steadily when running and is intermittent. During pump overrun there is no leak
- there is no identifiable loss in pressure as yet and I've dried up a couple of decent sized puddles today before realising it was the boiler (the tumble dryer is just by the side of the boiler and initially I thought it was that

Would the above indicate condensate leak of some description? The condensate pipe is all internal and feeds into the drain for the washing machine. Nothing obviously blocking it, or anything like that.

Any help much appreciated. My intention was (and still is) to be able to describe the issue as fully as possible to a gas safe engineer when I call on Monday so no intention of attempting fixes myself. On the second photo I've attached this seems to show where the drip is emerging, which is just under the corner of the plate to the right of the blue and red wiring- there's a drip in the photo by the rivet

Attachments

• 6F0C0FAA-FC56-4538-B94F-1E53797CC7AC.jpeg
    6F0C0FAA-FC56-4538-B94F-1E53797CC7AC.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 6BC62918-1831-4A41-AB29-EB59959332C9.jpeg
    6BC62918-1831-4A41-AB29-EB59959332C9.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 50336A51-15B8-41CB-A0F5-BF65B3B41624.jpeg
    50336A51-15B8-41CB-A0F5-BF65B3B41624.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 37
Sponsored Links
Hard to tell just on those photos, but you’re probably just better explaining what you have above to your engineer. Do this face to face, rather than ramble on the phone though. If you ring them and explain you have a leak from inside the boiler. Just check on top of the boiler to make sure it’s nothing dripping onto the boiler casing and down.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back