Leaking washing machine compression valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a leaking compression valve (I think) for the cold water feed to the washing machine.
When I moved in to the house a few years ago, it dripped whenever the cold water was turned on- a plumber was checking the (failing) boiler and had a look (I think it was something to do with a washer) and I thought it was fixed (there’s maybe been a small drip, but more like condensation), but I’ve always kept it off and turned it on via the blue tap as and when I’ve needed the washing machine just in case.
Today, turned the tap to do some washing, and it is dripping far quicker than I’ve seen it before, from the side of the cold water entry into the house (left).

Is this easy to fix? (Note I am not diy capable at all) Or do I need a plumber?

Attachments

• FFB44021-7BB7-443A-8803-255DFEFBA788.jpeg
    FFB44021-7BB7-443A-8803-255DFEFBA788.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 128
Sponsored Links
You just need someone to nip the left hand side joint up with a couple of spanners or pipe pliers. Don't overtighten. A friend/neighbour should be able to do it, rather than pay for a plumber.

It may also be leaking from underneath the blue handle. These valves don't like being turned on/off regularly.

Sponsored Links
Small philips screwdriver and take off the blue handle and see if it's leaking from the top first, if not then a nip of the nut may do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back