Leak behind washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I have a leak behind my washing machine. I noticed it a few weeks ago, but I think I need to get a plumber to fix it as I'm not very good at things like this.

I took a picture. The water inlet pipe has two grey pipes attached to it. Basically, the grey hose at the top goes into my washing machine, and the other grey hose at the bottom goes into my dishwasher.

(Please excuse the messy wall - this is behind my washing machines and I had to pull the bugger out to see this).

The leak is coming from the where the grey top hose connects to the water inlet pipe. You can see a drip on the valve that can turn off the supply to the washing machine. The leak is somewhere around that blue connector. I tried tightening it, but it's fully tightened.

Can someone tell me what those connectors are called, and what I would need to fix it?

As a plumber would probably take advantage of us females, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me the part names and what needs to be done so I can relay it to them and hopefully not sound too dim.

Thank you!

Sharon

Sponsored Links
Sorry - i apologise. I didn't mean to insinuate all plumbers would take advantage.

Is my apology accepted? Can someone provide me with some advise, please?

I'm really, really sorry :oops:

Sharon.

If the drip is coming from the hose screw on connector then you need a replacement washing machine rubber washer (from screwfix in packs of 10 I believe). Easy to do for any hands on DIYer.

If you fancy a go you must turn off the top valve before unscrewing the hose! Put down some old towels too :)

Sponsored Links
I've had a couple of instances like these where a new washer made no difference as the leak was due to the metal ferrule being incorrectly crimped.....if this happens to you, just buy a complete hose, which comes with new washers anyway.
John :)

Thank you for your replies!

I can't tell 100% where the leak is coming from, but I don't think it's the washing machine hose. The top blue hose screw connector is dry, but everytime I wipe down that area, a drip appears on the blue switch (just like in the picture) after a few seconds. It almost seems like the blue switch is somehow leaking - is this likely? Maybe cheap parts?

I have a feeling that the metal valve itself together with the blue switch attached to it needs to be replaced. Is that an easy job? I take it the valve just screws on to the pipe?

Or if its joined in a different way, then I guess I'll have to call a plumber out.

I did actually fit my washing machine to this pipe around two years ago, (so the grey pipe is not old/perished) but that was just an easy screw on after I had turned the water off. I'm just a bit more wary about trying to replace that entire valve - especially as I probably don't have the right tools, etc.

Sharon.

Time to get the kitchen roll out and determine where the leak is actually from.
The blue switch is the valve turning lever (1/4 turn ) which turns the water off to the appliance.....usually they only leak when they have been disturbed, believe it or not! Replacement is simple enough so long as you have some spanners and can turn your mains water off. To replace the valve, it must be held tightly and the nut beneath it released.
If you can get close to the leaky hose, very gently move it to the left and right, looking out for the telltale water droplet!

Well - I went to Wickes and bought a valve which had a lever for £2.79.

It took me some time to get the old one off - and I almost called a plumber - but I just kept wondering how much I'd be charged. And As I'd only spent less that three quid I kept trying lol.

Eventually I got the old one off and it was easy to fit the replacement with the compression fitting (I looked on Youtube so see how those worked).

Job done! No more leak :D

Thanks for everyone who gave me advice, and apologies again for the ones who I rubbed up the wrong way.

Sharon.

Nice one Sharon :p
Keep an eye on things for 24 hours, just to see alls well.....its definitely a job worth doing - small but constant drips cause havoc with floors and so on.

Well done girl, saved yourself 50 quid easy. Wouldn't worry about rubbing a few naysayers up. Some here need a wake up call. People are fed up of being rinsed out by some extortionate plumbers.

They think people who hire them should be so grateful and pay them ransom money that anyone with a bit of common sense and basic know how can easily do. Not worth more than £20 an hour IMHO..

They think people who hire them should be so grateful and pay them ransom money that anyone with a bit of common sense and basic know how can easily do. Not worth more than £20 an hour IMHO..

I agree; eating is totally over-rated! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back