Vaillant Combi boiler various issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've recently moved into a new flat and inherited a very old Vaillant boiler that seems to have a few issues.

I think the model is VCW-sine 18 T3WF H and it must be about 30 years old.

The major probelm is that the hot water does not work without the heating switched on (although I can turn the thermostat right down so the rads aren't hot all the time)

Also when the hot water runs the central heating operates and the rads get hot and the hot water only comes out luke warm. If I turn all the rads off at the valves the water comes out hot.

finally today the whole lot has stopped working with the only sign of life being the pilot light. I had a plumber look at it when I first moved in a few months ago after it stopped working. He said it's old and needs a service and it had cut out because it got too hot. There was a little black button behind the case that needed pressing in to reset it.

I've pressed in the black button this time but had managed to extinguish the pilot light which now won't relight.

Please help me. Is it worth getting this fixed or should I bite the bullet and get a new boiler? If so what would be the best option for a small two bed flat with just me. Presumably it'd have to be a condensing boiler?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You will get a mixed reply on this one.

My slant.

It sounds like you have a few problems with the boiler, the divertor valve and possibly the diapragm in the flow sensor housing.

These are a cracking boiler BUT they are also 20-25 years old. In my opinion it is not worth the money to replace the faulty parts when the boiler is so old and inefficient.

The boiler has given 25 years of good service but I would be retiring the boiler and replacing it with a more cost effcient and no doubt higher performing combi rather than wasting money on it.

Get the boiler serviced. Before the service commences, get the heat exchanger checked for cracks in the metal skirt. If all OK, have the diverter valve cleaned and overhauled. Same goes for domestic manifold (water section)

Great boiler that keeps on 'trucking'

Sounds like a diaphragm failure in the water section. Fairly straightforward repair with a cheap part.

Sponsored Links
It all depends whether you can find a reasonable local person to fix it properly this time.

You might have to call a few people round, and anyone that kicks it and says it's had it's day, politely say you'll get back to them (which you might). If a a tree hugger for boilers comes you'll soon know him. He'll have a glint in his eye, and say ooooohhh, luvverly boiler, he'll pat it and recount stories about it, and tears will form as he recalls how well combis were once made before the combi dark ages. He's your man, don't let go of him, pay hjim whatever he asks and never loose his number.

Paul Barker said:
He's your man, don't let go of him, pay him whatever he asks and never lose his number.

But never, ever, ever go down the pub with him

Thanks guys. Think I'll just try to get it fixed then.

Does anyone know of a tree-hugging type in the thurrock, Essex area?

no not tree hugging at all. quite the opposite in fact.

Been having real trouble finding someone so look at it. Everyone seems to have abandoned repairing and only do new installations.

Does anyone know if econogas in Laindon, Essex is any good?

Any other recommendations?

cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back