Vaillant Combi continuously losing pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people

wondering if you could help diagnose my problem.

I have a Vailliant Eco Max Combi boiler, all was well until 2 weeks ago when I decided to change the radiator as my wife thought it was old and ugly :rolleyes:
Whilst removing the rad I developed a small leak from the old thermostat. I called a plumber friend of mine who informed me the thermostat needed replacing, he then went on to shut of the central heating system but we still had hot water.
We had no heating for a few days until he returned and fitted new fittings on the leaking pipe and turned the heating back on.

This left me with heating and hot water but a missing rad which was supposed to be re-fitted from the plumber in a 'couple of days'

The next day I developed a fault with the boiler. F.25 no pressure. I topped it back up to 1.5 and a within a few hours it had drained again.

Ok, the house is covered with British Gas. Called them out and they came the next day.
The engineer re-filled the expansion tank? with air. Eventually he had a good look around and came to the conclusion that there is Oxygen in the water and need to top it up when the rad is re-fitted.

Here are the things I've checked my self; external overflow pipe, bled all the rads and checked for leaks (even under the floor)

My Radiator is being fitted Saturday morning.

I'd appreciate any help in diagnosing this problem as I'm not entirely convinced the oxygen in the water would lose 1.5 bar within a couple of hours.

Thanks for listening

Sponsored Links
You seem to have been relying on a "plumber" who seems rather less than ideal and certainly not very speedy!

It seems he was unable to realise the expansion vessel was discharged but then perhaps he is only a plumber and not a boiler engineer.

Wait until the new rad is fitted and keep the pressure topped up to 1.5 cold and see what it does over a few days.

Tony

Ok, the house is covered with British Gas. Called them out and they came the next day.
The engineer re-filled the expansion tank? with air. Eventually he had a good look around and came to the conclusion that there is Oxygen in the water and need to top it up when the rad is re-fitted.

get them back :evil:

Sponsored Links
apparently according the BG engineer this is common problem if the rads are not re-filled with sentinel inhibitor.

The original 'plumber' is in-fact a Corgi gas engineer and obviously to busy to return :rolleyes: . The chap coming on Saturday is just a regular plumber.

Any more suggestions? guess it's not a common problem then

roll on Saturday.....

The only way your losing pressure that quickly is if you have a water leak due to the movement in the pipework due to trying to replace the radiator or your losing it out the PRV which can be caused by 3 things. 1. PRV leaking. 2. Expansion vessel needs recharged or replaced. 3. Heat exchanger has pinhole in it and needs replaced.

I would wait and get the rad fitted then refill and see how you get on and ask BG to come back out if problem persists as the whole oxygen causing pressure loss doesnt fly with me at all!

Kev

The only way your losing pressure that quickly is if you have a water leak due to the movement in the pipework due to trying to replace the radiator or your losing it out the PRV which can be caused by 3 things. 1. PRV leaking. 2. Expansion vessel needs recharged or replaced. 3. Heat exchanger has pinhole in it and needs replaced.

I would wait and get the rad fitted then refill and see how you get on and ask BG to come back out if problem persists as the whole oxygen causing pressure loss doesnt fly with me at all!

Kev

And here's me thinking all the knowledgeable professional were out at work ;)

Thanks for the informative reply.

I'll be sure to post the out come of this scenario for future reference.

Z

Ok first what does the pressure go up to when the central heating is on?

The expansion cylinder is filled with air so that as the water increates in temperature the air can be compressed otherwise the pressure will go very high and could cause problems. The PRV is designed to vent water outside if the pressure does increase too far. The problem with a PRV is that if it does vent once and is quite old it can often not reseal itself so contiinues to dribble water.

So check the output of the PRV (often a pipe going outside) and see if the end is wet and also see what pressure the system reaches when hot.
If its dry and not reaching near 3 bar then it sounds like you might have broken a solder joint around a pipe fitting somewhere while removing the radiator.

Up-date

it's getting worse, losing pressure pretty much instantly.

Filled it up this morning, ran the hot tap and I could literally hear hissing like loss of air sound coming from the boiler.

What's the brass air valve thingy? Could be that, no

Thanks

if you are losing pressure that fast you deffo have a leak

does it hold if you don't run the hot water :?:

no, still loses pressure while idle.

I did notice it took about 30 to 40 seconds filling to reach 1.5 bar before the BG engineer fiddled with it, and now fills up less than 10.

Hissing sound occurs when the boiler is produces hot water.

I'm pretty convinced it's not a leak, serached every where for water and still after 2 weeks all dry - no sighn of water. Also, the state it's in now should be pi**ing out!

Thanks

Have you checked the pressure relief valve vent?

Usually outside behind boiler.

It sounds as if the BG man DEpressurised the expansion vessel !

Fill system to 1.5 Bar cold and then run heating and watch the pressure. I am expecting it to go up to 3 Bar and the vent to discharge.

Are both boiler isolating valves both closed?

Tony

Well it seems everyone was correct with their initial guess.

Just spotted a leak underneath the suspended ceiling in our business down stairs.

All though it's not coming from where I removed the radiator, a join must have came lose further down the piping. Just called the plumber out :oops:

Going have to get at it from underneath, at least it will be covered by the suspended ceiling. As the kitchen has newly laid marble tiles (£20 a tile :eek: ) then 4' ply, then the floor boards, then the insulation, then the plasterboard ceiling (which will soon be in a mess) and finally the suspended ceiling.

I'll add closure to this after repairs have been carried out.

All because the wife thought the old radiator looked ugly :rolleyes:

Thanks to those who have contributed

Often you can claim the consequential damage from a leak from insurance!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back