Vaillant combi-heater vcw...t3w - no water/rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

This is my first post and I really hope to fix this problem myself with the help of all you guys.

So here goes:

The problem first started about two weeks ago - I turned off the central heating/hot water completely for a period of about two days and it hasn't been able to get started since.

I turn on the main electrical supply to the Vaillant Gas Combi-Heater VCW...T3W (I have already replaced the fuse here). I can light the pilot fine and can add water okay to the 'tank' (I guess that's what it is called).

Usually it then used to make a noise when the central heating was due to come on, but it doesn't get that far any more - when I adjust the thermostat it doesn't hum or seem to do anything - even though the pilot is lit.

The nearest rad gets a little warm but nothing major, no other radiators get any heat. The pipe running down the left side of the boiler DOES get hot though.

The water is hot at first but then goes freezing cold - I live in a flat so the boiler is the only thing I have access to (I guess the main tank is somewhere in the top of the building).

From what I've read it would appear to be the pump - but I will need a detailed explanation on how to get to this if it is indeed the problem.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I rent the flat but can't get hold of my landlord for a couple weeks as he is on holiday.

Any other ideas?

I don't think you'll find any of the experts giving you advice on how to mess about with a boiler that doesn't actually belong to you. I am truly sorry, the whole reason we post on here is to help people (and show how clever we are) but if you do something that brings the house down...............................

Sponsored Links
okay fair enough

Could you at leats tell me what sounds wrong with it then??

Er, well, the pump is just a motor with an impeller on the shaft which goes round and round. Or not, in your case. Not a desperately hard pump to change but you may well have it leaking if you're unlucky.

Okay thanks

I can pick one up pretty easy but are there any schematics or engineering diagrams as I'd rather just wait if theres a high chance of me killing it.

Do not mess with the boiler. Pump is special- not the one you see on B&Q plumbing shelf.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back