Vaillant Combi: Red neon lock-out problem

pb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler (~10 years old) has developed random problem. Ignition lock-out (black) button pops out after period of normal operation. Adjacent neon comes on, boiler has shut down. Can only get it to re-start if left for at least 30mins (sometimes much longer).

Typical failed re-start attempt is: push in lock-out button; neon light goes out; fan starts, but no ignition spark (or I can’t hear one); no gas.

Successful attempt is: wait extended period; push in L/O button; neon light goes out; burner lights normally; runs for anything from ~15m to several hours before L/O button comes out again, etc, etc.

Both the pressure and temperature gauge register normal values.

At first I thought it might be the flame monitoring electrode but not so confident now. Could it be temperature-related i.e. the extended wait period is the time that ‘something’ is taking to cool? I don’t really know! Any help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
It's either a VCW GB 242EH or 282EH - Have only got the book that came with the house and it covers both models. can't find the model number on the boiler itself.

Last serviced winter 2001.

Sponsored Links
How long did the service take. If 15 minutes to half hour, you have wasted your money.

A proper service is the one that is carried out as specified in the handbook. It can easily take upwards of one hour.

This boiler rarely goes faulty. Lack of service can play havoc. Would suggest you get someone who is competent to carry out repairs on this boiler and not just anyone who claims to know the boiler.

To repair any boiler, engineer has to know how the boiler operates. Only then can the engineer successfully repair a defect (and that is most of the time to be stuped sometimes)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back