IDEAL C80FF Combi BOILER Problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After varying periods of time, it just cuts out!The blummin light comes on (neon lockout) and one has to push the light / button for it to work again.

Recently this seems to be getting worse, especially through the night (as the wife insists I must switch it on!!)

Joking aside, Initially, it was fine-ish;
..the neon L/O light came on, we poked it, it worked again until the next time (whenever that may be!)

- but now it seems to have affected the water temp as it keeps going hot cold hot cold...etc. It randomly goes off / trips / locks-out and is soooo annoying! Even after pushing the light/ button, it takes a while for her to start up...then all of a sudden goes off again without tripping then starts up herself!!!

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

I have read many postings here and it seems there is a lot of expertise here .......come-on people I need YOU!

Thanking you deeply in advance (cos its blummin freezin...) x

Sponsored Links
The hot/cold hot water may be a blocked plate heat exchanger. You can search on here for further information.

The red lockout light is going to be a combustion related matter and probably arises because the boiler has not been serviced. Now its classed as a fault which will need a competent CORGI to deal with it.

Tony

Tony,

Thank you for your prompt response and also for sharing your expertise.

I wonder what would this type repair cost? I had it serviced 3 - 4 years ago.

Call me thick but I am struggling to even log back in to this website let alone search for a blocked plate heat exchanger!!!!

But seriously Tony thank you for responding, God Bless mate.

In our local area in London we would charge £136 to fit a recon plate HE and service the boiler.

The combustion fault we would probably fix it free or for an extra £4 IF its what I might expect but it could be caused by several things!

Its recommended that boilers are serviced every year!

Tony

Sponsored Links
If PHEX blocked - then what about flow switches poss been blocked??

Also - if there is an issue with sludge in the system, then poor circulation can cause to lock out on overheat....

The red light is an ignition lock out,not an overheat lock out

Which is in series from CH flow switch.................................

THEREFORE can be flow switch issue

In this case he said the FIRST problem was the red light. He also implies it locks out during the night on CH and therefore NOT on DHW demand!

I would therefore conclude that it is an ignition problem.

The blocked HEX is a recent fault.

So he says!

Tony

Like I said - pcb logic then ign board has reset mech and ch flow switch before that from main board - so ch flow switch could be issue, and he then states sludge in PHEX - so in my eyes there is a system water quality issue that is more than likely affecting both modes....

If the system flow switch does not operate the boiler sits there without displaying anything at all!

I was with one tonight!

Tony

Voltage needs checking at ign pcb from main board then.......

And continuity through reset mech....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back