Vaillant controls: Connecting two VR81 thermostats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had a Vaillant EcoTEC plsu 630 boiler fitted along with a VR65 control centre and VRC470f weather compensator.

Unfortunately the wireless signal strength to the VRC470f is marginal ( varying between 0 and 2 on the signal strength scale of 0 to 9) in the location that I'd like to site the unit.

At present the heating system has just a single zone.

I am wondering if I can solve the wireless range problem by installing a VR81 thermostat and assigning it to "HEATING1"

Has anyone done this? (or can anyone see a problem with doing this?) The reason I'm asking is that the most common usage of the VR81 seems to be for the control of two zone systems (where the VR81 is assigned to "HEATING2"...but as far as I can tell from the installation instructions, the VR81 can be assigned to either "HEATING1" or "HEATING2"

As a secondary question, in future, I intend to add a second zone to the system by replacing the VR65 with a VR61. The second zone will be a small underfloor heating installation. This will require the installation of a VR81 in the second zone.....so I would end up with two VR81s - one assigned to "HEATING1", the other to "HEATING2"

Unfortunately, the VR81 installation instructions state that "Only one VR81 control unit can be used" Given that the VR81s would be assigned to different heating zones, I'm not sure why this would be a problem. Can anyone enlighten me?

(I have emailed Vaillant - but, as yet, have not received a response)

Regards,
Nick

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back