Vaillant Controls - is it possible to mix wired and wireless?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an all Vaillant setup - an EcoTEC Plus 637 system boiler plus wired VR720 and VR92 SensoCOMFORT controller, driving two CH zones plus DHW. It all works, but unfortunately we have found that the room stats are poorly located, and so the level of control is not what it should be. We had not lived in the house prior to doing a full refurb, so had to guess the best thermostat positions - which have proved to be less than optimal. One is in a hallway which is cool but really doesn't need to be heated, and the other is on a landing that never seems to lose its heat!

Ideally we'd just relocate the VR720 and VR92, or even just add further wired VR92 units in the house, and set them as the source of temperature control - but getting wires to the necessary places would be very difficult. Or we could bite the bullet and replace our (1 yr old) wired setup and go wireless. This seems to be the most sensible if costly way forwards.

Before we do this however, does anyone know if it is possible to mix wired and wireless controllers from the same Vaillant range? So for example, could we keep our controller and add a wireless VR92f (and its receiver) to our existing wired installation? Or another eBUS compatible wireless thermostat?

Or as a halfway house, assuming we did have to go all wireless, does anyone know if it's possible for us to at least keep our wired Outdoor Temp Sensor, currently wired to the boiler? Rather than use the solar powered unit that comes with the wireless controller? We have thick internal walls due to previous extensions, hence I'm unconvinced a wireless outdoor sensor will even work!

I will be posing these questions to Vaillant support, but having worked with them previously during the initial installation, I'm not confident they will be able to help with these slightly unusual questions. I suspect they can't look them up. Hence thought I'd ask here first, as there are clearly some very knowledgeable people on this forum, who are happy to think outside the box!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back