Vaillant controls question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did a thread before Christmas on a whole sale change on the CH/DHW system in my house.
One if my bug bears was BG insist on using Hive controls, which as far I can see is just a glorified 230v on off switch which ignores most of the features modern boilers have to give. I updated the original thread earlier but had no responses so I thought I’d pose it here in a separate thread if that ok.

I’ve finally reached an agreement with BG for the controls for system. They have agreed to not fit the Hive controls and will fit Vaillant controls as I requested which I have to supply and they will install and commission the whole system.

The system will be open vent Ecotec Plus 418 with the Gledhills SSL 210ltr unvented cylinder. Although selecting the 418 was based on the simple BG 230v controls as they add 3kw for hot water on top of their calculations. Whereas the 415 can produce 18kw for a DHW demand.
Any thoughts on dropping down to a 415, or just range rating the 418 which I’m inclined to go to, any advantages or disadvantages either way?

Now the main questions, perhaps @ScottishGasMan can help?

I think I need this package for Control; VRC720f SensoComfort. This is a package that has a remote wireless (rf) wall mounted controller/room stat, rf outside temperature sensor and an rf communication receiver unit for connecting to the boiler. Vaillant part No; 0010036820.

For wiring centre I think I need the wiring centre VR66/2. Vaillant part no; 002013585

Although the VR66 which has the same part number seems more plentiful and cost effective. As the house is a single heating zone plus DHW it effectively operates as a VR65 as far as I can tell regardless if it’s a VR66 or VR66/2.

Am I correct in assuming that to use the 418 fully the VRC720F/VR66 is all that I need?

As it’s not a unistor the DHW is via the cylinder stat, but I did read on another thread you can actually connect the cylinder stat and DHW NTC despite the handbook saying one of other? Any comments and if experience on that?

The trade off for all of this is I own the controls hardware and hence no warranty on them via BG. The rest is covered under normal warranty and home care package.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back