Vaillant DHW Cylinder - stand alone thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - quick question for the panel.

I have a Vaillant system boiler, and have fitted a Hive control system. Completed removed the eBus system - was in correspondence with Vaillant about my plan.

The only hurdle is that the Vaillant GB 155 S cylinder is not fitted with a thermostat. It has an NTC probe, and an immersion with its own thermostat.

Vaillant advised to fit a cylinder control module which has both a thermostat and overheat cut out which is around £200.

I was thinking about cutting a window through the insulation of the cylinder and fitting a simple Honeywell pipe stat type device. Is this a sensible option, or should I bite the bullet and fit the Vaillant option?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
The sensible option would have been to have kept the eBus system - Hive will make your boiler less efficient. You should buy the proper cylinder control module though, unvented cylinders must be used with the correct safety features in place, and a simple pipe/cylinder thermostat will not provide this

you will have to use the vaillant controls and a vaillant control centre and the existing NTC will have to be disconnected

The sensible option would have been to have kept the eBus system - Hive will make your boiler less efficient. You should buy the proper cylinder control module though, unvented cylinders must be used with the correct safety features in place, and a simple pipe/cylinder thermostat will not provide this

Thanks Andrew - I’m certain you’re correct about less efficiency. However my thinking is that what I lose through less efficiency, I will gain from being able to switch the system off remotely when I’m late home, or away unexpectedly for a few days (which happens a lot).
Unfortunately a new £200 thermostat will already eat into the savings!

Sponsored Links
agree with the others you have went backwards doing what you have done , VSmart would have been the best solution for you

Why have I never heard of Vsmart - not even from Vaillant Technical help.

I can see the eBus system being reinstalled tomorrow.

Anyone want a two channel Hive. Only used for 48 hours?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back