Vaillant ecoTEC 415 / 615 differences and benefits?

MJN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at eventually replacing my Ideal Icos heat-only boiler which currently supplies a sealed S-plan system with an unvented HW cylinder. It works well, or at least as well as an Icos-driven system can, but I know that beast isn't going to last forever.

Confusingly, the Vaillant ecoTEC 415 is described as an 'open vent' boiler, however digging deeper it seems to be equally suitable for both open vent and sealed systems. Hence, I'd prefer to call it a 'heat only' boiler - but why don't Vaillant?

I perceive some benefits in keeping a heat only boiler, particularly with regards to spreading the components around so as not to put all my eggs in one basket. The way I see it I have far more flexibility and ease of repair by having the pump, expansion vessel, PRV and zone valves outside of the boiler.

However, what am I missing out on by considering the 415 rather than the 615 system boiler? Are there advantages with having the aforementioned components inside the boiler? Are the 415 and 615 otherwise essentially the same boiler, save for the location of these additional components? There's a ~£100 price differential but if there's a consequential functionality/capability cost of making that financial saving I'm keen to know what it is.

Regards,

Mathew

Sponsored Links
I prefer regular boilers to system ones and can't think of any worthwhile advantages of the latter. That means benefits the manufacturers point to are worthless to me.

400 series are open vented heat only boilers (415, 418, 428 etc)
600 series are sealed system heat only boilers (624, 628 etc)

either can be put on a pressurised system but only the 400s can be open vented

the 600 is an 800 combi without the water circuit and is a better boiler although you shouldn't have any problems with either if your installer does his job properly

the main difference is that the pump is internal to the boiler in the 600s but you need a seperate one for a 400

both series can be range rated to suit your system.

Thanks chaps. I'm certainly leaning more towards the 400-series for the following reasons (in no particular order):

1. Cheaper
2. There's nothing wrong with my current pump, PRV and expansion vessel
3. Simplified repair/maintenance, at least as far as the above components are concerned
4. Less work for the installer (i.e. not needing to remove any of the above)

My only reservation is whether I'm missing out on anything by not going for the 600-series... For example, I did wonder if there are benefits of an integral pump (600-series) insofar that, say, it might be more controllable?

Mathew

Sponsored Links
600 all day long, 400 is a rebadged Glowworm with Vaillant PCB and display. ;)

If you really want a heat only boiler though, look at the GW ultracom hx and compare prices

600 all day long, 400 is a rebadged Glowworm with Vaillant PCB and display. ;)
Ah.. now that's the sort of thing I was after... or does the wink imply you were joking?

What I don't want to do is assume that the 400 and 600 differ only in their component list i.e. I was wondering if they are fundamentally different boilers (in terms of heat engine, control logic, etc) with little in common other than the same badge.

Mathew

If you really want a heat only boiler though, look at the GW ultracom hx and compare prices

I was pleased (relieved?) to have got as far as narrowing down the choice to at least a single manufacturer but I'll take a look.

Thanks,

Mathew

I agree with beer lover 600 series is genuine Vaillant 400s r rebadged gloworm the 600s a better option

Thanks chaps. I'm certainly leaning more towards the 400-series for the following reasons (in no particular order):

1. Cheaper
2. There's nothing wrong with my current pump, PRV and expansion vessel
3. Simplified repair/maintenance, at least as far as the above components are concerned
4. Less work for the installer (i.e. not needing to remove any of the above)

My only reservation is whether I'm missing out on anything by not going for the 600-series... For example, I did wonder if there are benefits of an integral pump (600-series) insofar that, say, it might be more controllable?

Mathew
S o you already have a sealed system?600 range it is then :D

Yeah, so my only 'concern' (in the loosest sense of the word) was that with the 600-series I'd effectively be paying out unnecessarily for a pump and expansion vessel given I've already got them (my existing ones therefore being made redundant). That said, I don't want to let that one aspect dictate the choice alone, particularly if there are other issues to consider.

Thanks again everyone for your input - your advice/guidance is appreciated.

Mathew

Worth considering the fact that paying the extra £100 for a new pump, expansion vessel and PRV is not bad money really.

The 600 series is a larger appliance on the wall, and would come with a built in 'low-water pressure cut-out sensor (the 400 series does not, as normally it would just be filled from a feed expansion tank).

the fans can be a little noisy at a slower speed and sometimes need adjustment to quieten them down.

whatever appliance, get the whole system cleansed, corrosion inhibitor added, and a magnetic filter fitted on the return.

DH

Thanks for the comments chaps but the Icos continues to work without a hint of any problems and so I will delay any further consideration of what to replace it until this changes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back