Vaillant ecotec 415

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My ecotec 415 cycles once the water gets warm. It's probably too powerful for my house or possibly has crud in the heat exchanger but is there a way to throttle back the initial burning?

I've set the output to minimum, which is fine on the first cycle when everything is cold. It seems that when they fire up you get 30 odd seconds of full power then the burner modulates down. The problem is that once the water is warm, the boiler cuts out before it modulates the power down, resulting in the cycling, rather than a steady burn.

Hope someone understands what I'm trying to say!

Jon

Sponsored Links
I understand exactly what you say.

The boiler fires up of about 75% of maximum power for a short while before coming back to the power level set in d0.

Thats a burnt in software decision and nothing that you can do about it!

But what flow temperature have you got it set at? If thats too low it will reach that value and turn off sooner than if it was higher.

If its set too high then the boiler will not be so efficient.

Why does it bother you?

Have you accurately measured the flow and return temperatures ( using d40/d41 )?

15 kW is about as low as you can get in boiler outputs.

Of course timing HW with CH is going to keep the boiler burning for longer!

Tony

tony most boilers go lower than 15kws....vaillantbadvertise the 415 at about 5kws....

I understand exactly what you say.

The boiler fires up of about 75% of maximum power for a short while before coming back to the power level set in d0.

Thats a burnt in software decision and nothing that you can do about it!

But what flow temperature have you got it set at? If thats too low it will reach that value and turn off sooner than if it was higher.

If its set too high then the boiler will not be so efficient.

Why does it bother you?

Have you accurately measured the flow and return temperatures ( using d40/d41 )?

15 kW is about as low as you can get in boiler outputs.

Of course timing HW with CH is going to keep the boiler burning for longer!

Tony

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply!

The flow temp is set to 66. Not measured the flow or return temps, what does this do?

It bothers me due to creaky pipes and the boiler is bubbling / banging when on the full power. I set d0 to 5!

Jon

Sponsored Links
Alex, I thought that everybody reading would realise that the 415 would modulate down. Certainly the OP to whom all replies are directed knows that!

All I was meaning was that the 415 is almost the lowest power boiler that can be bought.

Tony

Alex, I thought that everybody reading would realise that the 415 would modulate down. Certainly the OP to whom all replies are directed knows that!

All I was meaning was that the 415 is almost the lowest power boiler that can be bought.

Tony

Tony, who the hell is Alex? :rolleyes:

I think that he has just come in from the cold!

To the OP, most engineers seem to consider that about 70 C is a better flow temp for heating hot water.

But in your case you need to compromise between water heating ( ideally 70 C ) and room heating ( 90% of the time ) where 65 C will be more efficient if it gives enough heat.

Tony

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. I called British gas out in the end ( probably a swear word here). Basically the pump was knackered, he's popped a new one on and it's better that it's ever been!

I think the pump has been faulty from day one!

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back