Vaillant Ecotec 428

Sponsored Links
glowworm ultracom 18hxi will do you nicely. if you liked the vr430 idea you can go the same route with the glowworm climpro and smart wiring centre

glowworm ultracom 18hxi will do you nicely. if you liked the vr430 idea you can go the same route with the glowworm climpro and smart wiring centre

The Glow-worm looks like the same boiler as the Vaillant. The dimensions in the manuals are identical for flue position, connections, etc, see below. Since as mentioned this morning it shares the same heat exchanger then won't it have the same 'problems' as the Vaillant?

The Glow-worm looks like the same boiler as the Vaillant. The dimensions in the manuals are identical for flue position, connections, etc, see below. Since as mentioned this morning it shares the same heat exchanger then won't it have the same 'problems' as the Vaillant?

Thinking about it further I guess it shows that it's bad installations that cause the 428's problems rather than something inherent in the boiler design.

Sponsored Links
correct on both parts. The ultracom is indeed the same as a vaillant or you could sat its the other way around ;)
and yes its installation faults and existing faults on systems that causes the s53 issues on the vaillant. Fitted loads of ultracoms no problems at all, although not surprising as the boiler design is getting on for 10yrs old now and any problems have been designed out long ago.

All those details indicate to me that an 18 kW is adequate. You dont need to add any contingency.

So my recomendation is that you get an 18 kW or the next step up like the 428. But also to add some extra insulation to the roof to lower the heat loss. There are some wonderful deals about.

Tony

Up until now I have been resisting making substantial changes to the CH and HW, but now I'm starting to think that this isn't sensible.

I could switch to a mains pressure hot water tank located adjacent to the boiler downstairs. This could be done without appreciably impacting the space available. It would get the HW tank out of the airing cupboard. It would also negate the need for the Showermate pump we currently have.

I'd then have a system boiler directly adjacent to the new HW tank, eg. a Vaillant Unistore.

My only concern over this arrangement is the mains feed into the house. It is 20mm MDPE, ie. only 15mm internal bore. Is this likely to be a restriction on the system?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back