Vaillant Ecotec 624 + Unistor tank + Tado =???????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am going to have a new Vaillant system fitted in my house consisting of;
  • Ecotec 624 system boiler
  • 200L Unistor tank
I currently have a Tado smart thermostat and 4 Tado TRV's that I would like to use on the new Vaillant system. My installer is trying to push the merits of the Vaillant Vsmart because of the weather compensation etc but the Tado does all that and to be honest the Vsmart is a dated piece of tech that I highly doubt will receive any significant updates because Vaillant isn't a tech company.

The main issue is the modulation of the boiler which is not something that I want to sacrifice on.

Tado has confirmed that the thermostat does work with Ebus but it must be paired with a VR65 and not a VR66 to control the valves, the issue is that the VR65 has been discontinued and my installer is still not convinced it will work correctly.

Has anyone got a Tado working with a Vaillant system boiler and Unistor tank? If so any tips?

Thanks
Dan

Sponsored Links
Never seen it set up with a tado before, remember the VR65 was discontinued some time ago, and if you do go for it be prepared if something does go wrong it may affect your warranty on the boiler as Vaillant don't support tado devices being connected.

Its either the tado wired as an on/off system, or vaillant controls using modulation.

if your not keen on the Vsmart, as it will in all likley hood be replaced with something more up to date soon, have a look at the VRC700.
It would use a VR70 wiring center, and fitting a VR920 bridge would give it internet control through the VRC700 app.

Never seen it set up with a tado before, remember the VR65 was discontinued some time ago, and if you do go for it be prepared if something does go wrong it may affect your warranty on the boiler as Vaillant don't support tado devices being connected.

Its either the tado wired as an on/off system, or vaillant controls using modulation.

if your not keen on the Vsmart, as it will in all likley hood be replaced with something more up to date soon, have a look at the VRC700.
It would use a VR70 wiring center, and fitting a VR920 bridge would give it internet control through the VRC700 app.

Urgh that’s so annoying because the Vaillant system just isn’t up to scratch!

Any idea what the difference is between the VR65 and the VR66?

Not a great deal, the 66 is just the newer version of the 65 with some slightly different functionality.

If the vaillant stuffs that bad why are you speccing it for your house? Why not go for an opentherm compatible boiler?

Sponsored Links
I like their central heating products and the build quality. I just didn’t think the control side of it would be such a minefield.

Not a great deal, the 66 is just the newer version of the 65 with some slightly different functionality.

If the vaillant stuffs that bad why are you speccing it for your house? Why not go for an opentherm compatible boiler?

I’ve decided to go with a Vessman system instead as it ticks all the boxes. It’s being installed in a couple of weeks.

I’ve decided to go with a Vessman system instead as it ticks all the boxes. It’s being installed in a couple of weeks.
Providing the new boiler isn't far away from the cylinder. It is a good choice but there is nothing wrong with Vaillant vSMART which is a weather compensated control to modulate heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back