1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Vaillant ecoTEC plus 624 - Condensate Pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Dotty100, 11 Dec 2013.

1. Dotty100

Dotty100

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello everyone,

I’ve moved into a house a Vaillant ecoTEC plus 624 boiler system in the garage.

Twice recently I have encountered a puddle on the floor under the boiler. On close inspection I think it seems to be that the white plastic condensate pipe had become detached from the bottom of the boiler at the back on the right hand side (I only came to that conclusion by looking at a diagram in the manual). I’ve followed the pipe into the house where it seems to join the sink waste.

I’ve managed to push it back into position but would like to know if the loss of fluid is normal please?

Also as it has now come off twice, is there a way of fixing it so that it stays put?

Thank you.

Dotty

2. Sponsored Links
  3. arosindale

arosindale

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Dotty,
    Yes, fluid from condensate is normal.
    I had an Ecomax where the condensate drain degraded and fell apart, the fluid then delete egraded the internal components until I decided to replace it.

My advice would be to just buy a new condensate trap and fit accordingly. It will save you a massive headache in the future.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Dotty100

Dotty100

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you but the fluid is not coming from the condensate trap as far as I can tell, I don't know anything about boilers, I'm just trying to work out what is going on. I would not feel confident in fitting a new trap and would probably have to call an gas qualified person.

Dotty

5. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The pipe needs clipping is all.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. arosindale

arosindale

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you are unsure, I would just use a gas safe engineer to look at it.

The liquid will be coming from one (or quite possibly more than one) of these places

1. Cold water in
    2. Hot water out
    3. Central heating in
    4. Central heating out
    5. Condensate drain

Or any of the fittings connecting to these systems.

Photo perhaps?

7. Sponsored Links
  8. Dotty100

Dotty100

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello,

It's a bit difficult to get a photo from the underneath but I think these will show what I mean.

It's the white downpipe it has come detached twice, as mentioned before, I've followed it into the house where I think it joins the sink waste.

Hope you can see my album called "boiler" not sure how to incorporate the photos in the message.

Thank you.

9. Agile

Agile

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Its not clear exactly what the connection is from your photo.

From memory I think its just a male outlet which pushes inside the white drain pipe. If so then as Dan says all that is needed is to put a clip on the pipe to stop it slipping down.

But the good news is that its not dangerous and as long as you can catch any leakage then not even urgent.
    y
    Ton

10. arosindale

arosindale

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It is a trivial little connection, but if not fixed correctly can cause untold damage to the components.

For what its worth I would just replace the condensate trap completely, there's a reason its leaking, and that reason is probably corrosion to the plastic parts, its not the sort of thing to come loose.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAILLANT-...-831-837-CONDENSATE-TRAP-180985-/360490105706

This drain should drain away into a suitable waste, Vaillant also recommend the use of a U bend water seal, this may be because the fluid is smelly? not sure as this is essentially condensation...
    Although if you already do not have a u bend, I wouldn't bother putting one in now.

11. David937

David937

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

It's not the trap that is leaking, as said the pipe is not clipped so it detaches itself from the male connection on the boiler.

12. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local