Vaillant EcoTec Plus 831 and Aqualisa Midas 300

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings, chaps!

I've recently moved and the house currently has a 10.5kw electric shower. I want to get rid of this (primarily because it has the wrong sized cable and incorrect rated mcb fitted) and replace it with a thermostatic mixer shower.

The one I'm looking at is the Aqualisa Midas 300. The house has a reasonably new (2009) Vaillant EcoTec Plus 831 combi boiler and I was just wondering whether or not it would be suitable in combination with the Midas 300. Flow from the hot and cold taps in the bathroom seems pretty similar (although I haven't checked it using any form of flow measurement) so I'm hoping it'll be fine but thought I'd check things out a bit before just diving in!

Also, the installation guide for the Midas range specifies that certain sized flow regulators should be fitted to the HW inlet relating to the kW rating of the boiler. Looking in the install guide for the Vaillant, it doesn't give a definite rating, just says maximum 31kW. I guess I'm to fit the regulator best suited to the boilers maximum DHW rating, yes?

Cheers, in advance, for any help/advice.

Sponsored Links
The stated kW-age for a combi boiler tends to be the hot water output - central heating output is usually lower. For a Vaillant yes 31kW is the hot water output.

Flow not so important as pressure for a shower but as you've got a combi boiler I would assume pressure is okay.

Horizontal bar mixer showers are easy to fit and work well with combis, as long as you get one marked as suitable for a high pressure system or a combi boiler. A quick google shows two versions of the Midas 300 - get the right one.

I like to use this style of "easy plumb" fixings instead of the cranked nipples (think that's the correct term?) that usually come with this kind of shower http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Shower+Fixing+Bracket+/p68003

Cheers Hufty,

I'd seen there's two versions of the Midas 300 so, yeah, would have to make sure I clicked on the right one if buying it online!

With regards to the fixings, I was going to ask about quick/easy fit brackets as Aqualisa do sell an easy fit fixing bracket for the 300...

http://www.aqualisa.co.uk/Our-produ.../Midas-300/Concealed-easy-fit-fixing-bracket/

...so I was going to ask whether anyone had fitted one and whether they were any good.

Sponsored Links
Morning all,

I'm just about to place an order for this shower. I'm guessing that, because no-one has said otherwise, I shouldn't have any problems with my planned set up?

Is there anything else I need to consider when fitting a mixer shower? Non-return valves, pressure regulators, that sort of thing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back