Vaillant ecoTEC plus 831 R1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler is 11 years old (the system was power flushed then).
Just recently the hot water started to cut out. I contacted Vaillant who offered a £300 fixed repair contract. I have had two visits. On the second visit the diverter valve and plate heat exchanger were replaced. The first visit the engineer left but I had no hot water.
I have been told I must have a power flush or they will not visit again.
The water demand goes S 10, 11, 13, 14 it then cuts out to S 53 ( Appliance is within the waiting period of the operation block function due to water shortage )
The bar setting is about 1.7
I have also been advised to purchase a new boiler by the Vaillant Group Service engineer who visited.
The central heating works fine for nine radiators.
There was no black water when the boiler was drained down.
The turbidity is reported as 400 ppm.

Any thoughts please?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Dan, I was hoping for repair advice such as should Filter 179030 be replaced.
I do not understand your cut and paste reply.

Sponsored Links
Dan, I called a trusted local engineer (he replaced a plate about three years ago). He suggested contacting Valliant. I am now caught with the big national insisting on some variety of power flush. The engineer did not even tell me about his report, he just left it for me to find. (meaning I could not query the "water test" - he drained into to his dirty bowl which I remarked about) I will ask Valliant if I have the power flush and the water still goes S 53 where do I stand. Having toured these forums regarding S53 the only thing not tried is the power flush (which I do not really believe as all nine radiators get very hot) and Filter 179030 sometimes called the "canoe" filter.
I am not attempting a "diy repair". I am asking if anybody has any thoughts about the problem.
At the moment I am left with S53 = power flush = new boiler.

I went for the power flush as advised (compelled) and yes there has been some improvement.
That is I can get a bowl full of hot water to do the washing up.
The underlying error code after S53 kicks in is now F.23 when it was F.22
Mr PowerFlush from the Power Flush Association said he did not like the sound of my pump.

F.22 Dry Fire: (a) too little water in the appliance, (b) water pressure sensor defective, (c) cable to: pump or water sensor defective (d) pump blocked or defective (e) pump output too low.
F.23 Water shortage, temperature difference between flow and return NTC too large: (a) Pump blocked or defective, (b) pump output too low, (c) flow and return NTC interchanged.

Pump blocked or defective, pump output too low are common causes of those two errors.
Vaillant or the repair company are sending an engineer on Thursday.
Third time lucky ?

I want my pump changed and today I think that was the problem all along.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back