Vaillant EcoTec Plus 831 - spares hard to get? Insulation condemns?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have one of these. Fitted Feb 2006. Many parts have been replaced, several about 5 years ago. Off the top of my head:

Head Exchanger
Pump
Gas Valve
PCB
PRV
Metallic Pad (whatever that is)

And probably diverter valves, and others that I can't remember. I've got a feeling that the only original component is the expansion vessel.

The last chap that serviced it, from Vaillant said something like - "you practically got a new boiler".

Vaillant aren't servicing, so we booked a local independent for annual service. And I'd noticed the DHW seemed a bit iffy anyway - not as hot as it should, variable temp.

Local chap arrives. Doesn't do service because "it needs a lot of work", secondary HE, flow sensor, flow block, O rings, graphite seal. He thinks there's leaking, because of build up round joints - which I saw myself. I can't remember exactly how he put it, but it all needs a good clean out and seals replacing.

He's quoted £600, inc VAT. Which looks about right, so I'm not questioning that.

He wasn't pushing a new boiler at me, by the way. I asked about the price of a new boiler, but it was me that suggested it, he didn't raise the subject until I asked.

What he did say was:

1. When I asked him if boilers are a bit like "your grandfathers axe", in other words can we just keep replacing parts, was - "it will start getting hard to find parts for that, and they'll be expensive". I can't find exactly when that model went out of manufacture, but I don't think it was that long ago. Is it true that parts will be hard to get hold of?

2. The insulation on the inside of the cabinet walls is coming off. He suggested that might condemn the boiler next year. Is that true? I though it was just for sound, and another engineer definitely said it was just for sound. We're not bothered, it's in a utility room away from the rest of the house.

Thanks for advice.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It may be an idea to just get a like for like replacement, Vaillant are quite good and it may just be a case of removing one and putting the new one on and commissioning it by a vaillant advanced installer then you get 10yrs warranty.

I have an old 418 which is about 12 years old, last time eng was here we looked inside and everything was perfect other than the slight corrosion that was caused early in its life due to a faulty flue seal. But my system is open vent regular boiler so no pressurised stuff spraying water around, much simpler but still did its damage.

Last edited:
Depending on your boiler I think the 831 removing the front cover will immediately show you the internals and you need to be approved to do that. This post may then be removed.

On say a 418 you can remove the white cover and you are still not inside the boiler as there is another panel which then you can see the innards but can access the control board which is external to the main case.

Sponsored Links
The ecotec plus 831 (origional version) only stopped production in 2012, and Vaillant will typically make spares for at least 15 years, however the insualtion in the sides is not replaceable in that version (it is in new ones) yes its mostly sound deadening, but if it wears away where pannels meet then that is the seal between the panels gone and yes they could have to mark the boiler as being a saftey risk.

As said, £600 is a lot of money for an old boiler (although personally Id be questioning how he came to that, ie how does he know the plate hex is blocked? could it be cleaned out rather than replaced? flow sensor? doubtfull unless the boilers not sensing flow which would give no HW. I mean if you phoned me out for a service to that I wouldnt be very careful as you would have wasted my time, you either need a service or if somethings wrong you call for a repair.

However I would carefully consider not spending so much on an old boiler if the casing seals are compromised. as said, can get 10 year warranty on what could be an almost direct replacement model

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back