Vaillant EcoTEC plus / EcoFIT Pure question. What's the difference?

@Motman where are you located?

Seriously, get an independent to fit an Intergas - you will not be disappointed.

They are efficient, simple, well built and are as quiet as a nun’s fart.

Sponsored Links
The Omega was one that BG recommended although at £149 a little overpriced.

A couple of things about an Intergas. BG calculated my heat loss as 14.3 Kw so they said anything more than a 15Kw will be wasting fuel. Intergas don’t do a 15Kw heat only boiler, the smallest is an 18Kw. Also, I wrote this to Intergas telling them exactly what setup I have, asking them if their heat-only boiler is suitable for my sealed system.

"I currently have an ageing Potterton profile 60e boiler (60,000 BTU). I have a sealed system and an unvented hot water tank. The conversion from a vented system was carried out just over a year ago so practically the whole system (Pipes, valves, pump, hot water cylinder, programmer, thermostat) was changed and is perfectly serviceable. It’s just the boiler I’m looking to change this year. I have heard on some plumbing forums that Intergas boilers are very good so which boiler in your range would be a suitable replacement for my setup?"

This was the reply I got from their technical/sales dept.

"In your situation, with a sealed system I would go with our HRS SB range of boilers. 60,000Btu is equivalent to our HRE 18SB boiler which is in fact 61,419Btu’s. the pump is in the boiler so if you have an external pump on your existing system then that will have to be removed".

So, a boiler bigger than I need plus I’ve got to pay to remove recently fitted items in perfect working order plus I’ll be tied to buying those parts contained in the boiler if I ever need them replacing. I believe you when you say the boilers are okay but that seems like a waste of money if I can’t fit the heat only version.

So you’re in agreement with everything BG say, bar their price?

You asked for the opinions of installers on here and you’ve had them... what else can we say?

No point objecting because our opinions are built on experience and you won’t change them. It’s up to you to choose which way you go and you’ll have to sh!t soon enough, or get off the toilet :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Christ I'm glad I'm not doing this job.
Not half as much as I am mate! It seems to me that you don't like potential customers asking questions or even commenting on what I was told by your masters. Sorry, Intergas head office. Oh well.

You asked for the opinions of installers on here and you’ve had them... what else can we say?

No point objecting because our opinions are built on experience and you won’t change them. It’s up to you to choose which way you go and you’ll have to sh!t soon enough, or get off the toilet :LOL:

Honestly, I'm taking it all on board and I am very interested in the idea of very few moving parts in a boiler but so that I don't waste an independent Intergas installers time, could you comment on my concerns about boiler size and tell me why I have been told by Intergas that an Intergas heat-only boiler is not recommended for my setup? The literature on the boiler says a safe working pressure of 3 bar so why is that not suitable for a sealed system? It's the same pressure rating as the system boiler.

Just seems to me that it's frowned on just asking about Intergas boilers.

Honestly, I'm taking it all on board and I am very interested in the idea of very few moving parts in a boiler but so that I don't waste an independent Intergas installers time, could you comment on my concerns about boiler size and tell me why I have been told by Intergas that an Intergas heat-only boiler is not recommended for my setup? The literature on the boiler says a safe working pressure of 3 bar so why is that not suitable for a sealed system? It's the same pressure rating as the system boiler.

others on here are more qualified than me to answer but seem to prefer sarcasm than answers, anyway from what I believe to be correct is boilers 'modulate' their output (dependant on power needed) so the Intergas 18kw actually modulates between 6.2kw and 18.2

I quite enjoy answering questions from customers.

Tyre kicking pedants on the other hand. ..

others on here are more qualified than me to answer but seem to prefer sarcasm than answers

True. Perhaps they are worried about giving advice that might turn out to be wrong. Easier to be sarcastic I suppose.

@Motman if you “were” my customer, I’d have convinced you by now or walked away... can’t tell via this media... service industries, IMO, require ‘real’ conversations, either face2face or spoken word at least.

Edit: and btw, @Dan Robinson knows his stuff inside out and is a top bloke to boot... another example of misreading this media!

Edit #2: and Dan pretty much wrote the Intergas MI’s :)

Last edited:
I’ve no doubt that many on this forum know their stuff but I’m just looking to replace my boiler in the next few months. I'm in no rush - I can take my time and look at everything that’s available and ask questions if I’m not sure on anything. Or so I thought. I keep hearing “Don’t **** about, get an Intergas, they’re the best” so I hadn't ruled them out but it’s just that I’m having a hard time getting answers to simple questions from Intergas themselves or their chosen representative on Earth. I’ve not exactly asked hard to answer questions!

48BB47C1-67C8-445C-8474-1DF1C5EAB9D9.jpeg
1DA316C7-4B6B-443F-8702-36124DA79F64.jpeg
TF1 “Omega” is a much better animal.
Well, I fitted one today. Nice looking solid lump of metal. Looks very good but...........and this is typical of my luck, I had a little look inside before fitting it and I found what I considered to be a bloody big bit of swarf on the outlet. Might have caused me a problem if it had got to the pump. Anyway, I removed that, fitted it in less than 15 minutes (next to boiler in loft so not much water to drain out) and I'm running the heating now just to see if it picks up anything immediately. Sweating me nuts off with the heating on and all rads on max on a day like today!

431AE70B-B845-4980-8072-9947DB112A82.jpeg
Not too terrible I suppose for 15 mins running.

Last edited:
Wow, collects way better than my Spirotech Spirotrap MB3 because MB3's magnet is on the outside of the filter brass body.

The only criticism I heard on this website about the Fernox Omega TF1 brass filters are the valves that come with it are not full bore. So the flow rate becomes restricted through the filter so it takes longer to heat the radiators and makes the system inefficient. Is that criticism total rubbish? And even if the valves are a problem, couldn't we just replace them with full bore ones anyway? And how good is it removing non-magnetic debris as it doesn't have a mesh gauze - and does that matter when I suppose non-magnetic debris is not that important compared to the more abundant magnetite anyway?

Last edited:
The only criticism I heard on this website about the Fernox Omega TF1 brass filters are the valves that come with it are not full bore.

B8176106-F566-4ECA-BF8E-57E2D8E0E4D1.jpeg

I bought the kit without the valves and just fitted it to the 22mm return pipe next to the boiler so there’s no restriction on flow as far as I can see. Maybe I’m missing something but wouldn’t you only want valves either side of it if you were removing the whole filter and didn’t want to drain down the system every time?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back