Vaillant ecotec pro 28 egg timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Just been reading a thread about the same subject in which Dan Robinson provided some good info.
My issue is a little different. I’ve recently had the ecotec installed. It was installed with the VRT350F wireless stat controller. I have subsequently installed a Nest 3rd gen learning stat so I removed the VRT350F. For the time being I have left the wireless receiver on the front of the boiler as I don’t have a blanking plate. This now has a red light on it. I have removed this but it made no difference.
When I have heating demand the boiler fires for around 20 minutes then goes off for about 10 minutes with the egg timer flashing. I’ve checked the user manual and the installer manual and can see that the symbol is to do with anti cycling. I can see that the factory default for the anti cycle is 20 minutes but it’s not obvious to me whether this is 20 minutes off or 20 minutes on. I altered this setting to 30 minutes in setting D-02 but it didn’t seem to make any difference.
I’ve been observing it this morning as follows; I have set the Nest to a high set point to ensure constant demand, I have the rad symbol steady on the boiler. I have boiler flow temp set to 75 degrees. All TRVs are full open. As I watch the boiler cycling on and off with the egg timer the displayed flow temp only ever reaches 50 degrees. Consequently the house takes ages to warm up.
D-17 is set to 0 flow.
D-18 is set to 3 eco mode, intermittently operating. I was considering changing this to constant.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
where did you connect the nest onto the boiler? which terminals?

I used the 240v input. I could see that there was a 24v in/out too but I used the 240. In the nest I linked across from the supply to the common then connected the switch wire to the input on the boiler. Nest gets supply from boiler. 3 core + earth cable obviously.
The nest does switch the boiler as expected when there is demand.

The next time the egg timer shows press the "i" button and see if you have S56 showing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I’ll have a look later, I’m out at the minute. I have been occasionally checking status (S-04) etc. All has seemed normal.

So.........When I returned the issue seems to have resolved itself. I had left the VRT350 receiver disconnected.
The boiler now heats up to target flow setpoint. I've now reduced this to 70.
I'm now assuming that having the receiver in place was causing a conflict. It's odd that the egg timer issue continued for a while after the receiver was removed, maybe needed time to refresh?

Possible further updates to follow........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back