Vaillant ecotec - switch to 24hr analogue timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My parents have just had a new boiler fitted, an vaillant ecotec plus 832 with a Honeywell home tr3 wireless room thermostat.

My folks are elderly and struggling to get to grips with the room thermostat, opposed to the analogue 24hr timer that was on their old boiler. My dad just likes to switch the heating on for a couple of hours when they need it, then switch it off again. It's a lot easier/cost effective for them.

I noticed you can fit a 24hr timer to their new vaillant boiler relatively easily(Vaillant timeSWITCH 150). I'm just wondering if I'd need to disconnect the relay box for the Honeywell thermostat, or if just powering the room thermostat off would be sufficient to allow the boiler to be fully controlled by the analogue timer?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You can either disconnect the thermostat altogether and put a link in, join the x2 wires up in the relay box or set the thermostat temperature yourself, tell them to ignore the thermostat and use the mechanical timer on/off switch.

Is there no option to leave the heating permanently on/set on manual and just use the room thermostat to turn it up or down as required?
They could do that...but my Dad's not interested in trying to figure out the digital thermostat (a bloody computer haha). He's used to the analogue one, so I figured it would be the better option just to go back to that.

Sponsored Links
You can either disconnect the thermostat altogether and put a link in, join the x2 wires up in the relay box or set the thermostat temperature yourself, tell them to ignore the thermostat and use the mechanical timer on/off switch.
Ah ok...I see what you're saying. I'll leave the Honeywell hardware in place, just in case it was ever needed in future, then join the wires inside. Looks like I'd just need to connect A and B inside the relay.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230227_114514_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230227_114514_Drive.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: CBW
Ah ok...I see what you're saying. I'll leave the Honeywell hardware in place, just in case it was ever needed in future, then join the wires inside. Looks like I'd just need to connect A and B inside the relay.
Correct, this will bypass the thermostat altogether. One thing I forgot to mention on that relay box, there’s an override function, so by pressing the grey button or flame button (not sure which one you have) will override the thermostat anyway, a bit like a switch, although this might only fire it up for a set period.

Correct, this will bypass the thermostat altogether. One thing I forgot to mention on that relay box, there’s an override function, so by pressing the grey button or flame button (not sure which one you have) will override the thermostat anyway, a bit like a switch, although this might only fire it up for a set period.
Cheers mate, i'll have a play around and see if it's possible to override the thermostat before i start disconnecting it then.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back