Vaillant EcotecPlus Flue type 831

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would appreciate some advice. I have the above boiler on my kitchen wall. There is then a 4 metre flue to the outside wall and see below a picture of the outside flue below the guttering. I live in a flat on the the top floor.When it rains heavily the guttering leaks and water finds its way into the flue and back to my boiler and drips quite heavily through the bottom of the boiler. This has happened twice over the weekend and the boiler is still working. Three questions please...is it dangerous to use the boiler which is 1 year old. Is this a common occurrence to flues in heavy downfalls of rain. Has the outside flue been fitted correctly. Any ideas how to rectify this. I will be contacting my installer but would really like some advice. Thanks

Sponsored Links
The flue has a too big of a fall back to the boiler. It's on the **** to accomadate the plume kit. And I may be wrong but if the flue was more horizontal, the it looks like you have enough distance under the eave. And the plume wouldn't be neccessecery

Nath

Thanks for that,Nath. From a laymans point of view my thoughts were that how ever secure guttering was, there was always a chance that they overflow several times in the life of a boiler and the flue should be angled so that the water doesnt go back into the boiler. Would you say then that the flue from boiler to outside wall has been fitted incorrectly.

A condensing boiler should have the flue sloping back to the boiler (I'm guessing it is at only 1yr old). Sounds like you have a different problem but it isn't the slope on the flue, although it does look a bit much.

Sponsored Links
Denso....so if the overflowing gutter water is coming back into the fluewont it automatically travel along back along the flue to the boiler

Yes...maybe the plume kit below the gutter isn't in the ideal position but the flue is supposed to slope to the boiler. You can't change that.

Gasman...that does make sense,,,but on occasions when gutterings do overflow with this uncertain climate does that mean that water willl always filter back to the boiler

Water getting into the black plume management extension should find its way into the condensate train.

The air inlet white part should be at an angle of 3 degrees maximum. ( There is an argument that it should be horizontal because the inner part is angled anyway. Yours looks more like 10 degrees. Just how important this is to your problem is difficult to assess.

Are you able to watch the flue when the gutter is overflowing?

Tony

The water from the gutter goes into the opening between the black and white...hope that makes sense...Thanks for that info, Agile...its much appreciated

What angle do you assess the white part is at?

How can the overflowing gutter be prevented from entering the flue?

Tony

Is there any way the overflowing water from gutter can be prevented from entering the flue?

hoping to get the gutters repaired through the agents ASAP.
But gutters can overflow or leak at any time
Do you think the flue has been installed incorrectly
Would you have any advise for me as to how the original fitters can rectify the problem

Stu

I dont think I can interpret the picture well enough to be able to make any suggestions.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back