Vaillant F.22 Weirdness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have an old Vaillant combi - not sure of the exact model or year, but I believe it's an aquaPLUS installed sometime early 2000s - that is puzzling me. Three times now it has given me the "low pressure" F.22 fault code.

October: First time; called an engineer who came out, added water via the integrated filling loop, and said he couldn't see any obvious signs of leak. Nothing inside the boiler casing was wet nor were any of the pipes leading to/from the boiler and radiators.

December: Second time; I couldn't (and still can't) figure out which one is the filling loop or how to use it, so I simply turned the boiler off and on again. This worked. Fault code no longer shown, heating and hot water back.

Today: Did it again. I pressed the reset button, and, again, the fault has cleared.

The pressure, ever since I started keeping an eye on it after the engineer came, has always been 0.3/0.4bar when the heating is off and 1.4-1.6bar when on.

I believe that the cold pressure is supposed to be around 1bar and that the pressure shouldn't rise more than 1bar when on. Additionally, each time the boiler has given the fault it's been moments after I've tried to run the hot water while the heating is off. But running the hot water when the heating is on doesn't make the pressure drop (yes, I've sat and watched it to check). And it also doesn't happen every time I run the hot water while the heating is off, although I must say I'm pretty paranoid about it now.

So it seems to me something is going on - possibly expansion vessel or pressure relief valve. I've read that the typical sign of expansion vessel trouble is the pressure going very high when the heating is on, but mine's not doing that - although I suppose if it was 1-1.5 cold and still rising by the ~1bar it would be?

What troubleshooting steps should I follow to try to narrow this problem down before I call in the engineer? I want to have a clearer idea of what might be happening.

Thanks so much for your help :)

Sponsored Links
Post a pic of the pipes below the boiler and we will tell you how to top it up and then when at the correct pressure we can see just how much expansion you are having

Am I right in thinking it's the one that looks like a screwdriver would turn?

Attachments

• boilerpipes1.JPEG
    boilerpipes1.JPEG
    122.3 KB · Views: 187
  • boilerpipes2.JPEG
    boilerpipes2.JPEG
    117.8 KB · Views: 151
This one turn 1/4 turn till pressure is between 1 and 1.5 Bar then 1/4 turn back to close, do not touch the other valve in your 2nd pic

Attachments

• boilerpipes1.png
    boilerpipes1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 141
Sponsored Links
Thanks. I've done that (filled it to just above 1bar) and am switching the heating on. Will edit this post with what the pressure gets up to.

Pressure seems to have stopped at 1.7bar.

Last edited:
It's started heating up again, and now the pressure is above 2bar, which is just out of the green range (into white). Only 3bar is marked as red.

It's now 2.4bar, and it's stopped heating up again.

Last edited:
Okay, so I thought I'd try to do dishes again since the heating was on and pressure was good. Like usual (but not always), the water started to heat up then got very cold. F.22 code, but the pressure is still showing as about 2bar.

Attachments

• f.22 not low pressure.JPEG
    f.22 not low pressure.JPEG
    45.5 KB · Views: 202
F22 on a Turbomax based boiler (an Aquaplus is a Turbomax with a HW store) has nothing to do with water pressure. The fault is either circulation or gas related so not suitable for DIY.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back