Vaillant heat only boiler + switched live thermostats + weather comp?

Sponsored Links
20F10B14-6D08-4D6A-B7D4-209C83331D2C.jpeg

As a bonus a simple relay, a switch and an indicator lamp.

The lamp shows us that 240v DHW is active.

When 240v DHW is active and when switch is ON the relay breaks 240v live for heating demand, shutting all heating valves that results in immediate removal of 240v from RT terminal of the boiler even if Nest thermostats are demanding heat.

When switch is OFF the relay does nothing, allowing Nests to steal overheated water during cylinder charging cycle for heating.

Last edited:
View attachment 245775

When 240v DHW is active and when switch is ON the relay breaks 240v live for heating demand from RT terminal and shutting all heating valves even if Nest thermostats are demanding heat.

When switch is OFF the relay does nothing, allowing Nests to steal overheated water during cylinder charging cycle for heating.

I like it. Like selecting DHW priority, or feeding both water circuits via your switch / relay.

You have clearly done your homework on all of this. Hats off to you. :idea:

Sponsored Links
>> Is your outside sensor a 693 that wired to the vr65 or to the ebus directly?

The sensor is wired to boiler PCB via edge connector VRC 252629
Edge connector is normally supplied with VRC 470.

VR65 knows nothing about whether compensation.

Sensor 693 is a basic thermistor sensor.
Sensor on my photo is model 9535 and it also has DCF77 signal receiver from Frankfurt (German radio controlled clock) as a bonus. Boiler's PCB decodes this and sets the time.
Also, 9535 sensor has a bit better chassis than the standard 693 sensor.
Available from German Amazon. Not normally sold in the UK since we are in different time belt.

Last edited:
>> You have clearly done your homework on all of this

Download manuals and just read them. That's all I have done.
Now enjoy heating the way it should've been done from day 1.
Save some money too.

Last edited:
>> Is your outside sensor a 693 that wired to the vr65 or to the ebus directly?

The sensor is wired to boiler PCB via edge connector VRC 252629
It is normally supplied with VRC 470.

VR65 knows nothing about whether compensation.

Sensor 693 also has DCF77 signal receiver from Frankfurt (German radio controlled clock in the boiler) as a bonus.
Also, 693 have a bit better chassis than the standard sensor.
Available from Amazon via Germany. Not normally sold in the UK since we are in a different time belt.
I'm wondering if my boiler pcb has that port to connect it to?
Will have to look tomorrow.
Not sure I need the time signal, as I would set the time on the programmable room stat to sort that out, but maybe the vrc 470 needs the time?

>> I'm wondering if my boiler pcb has that port to connect it to?

It doesn't have that port now. When you buy VRC 470 make sure it is supplied with edge connector and with 3 pin connector for the boiler fascia.
Here's how you do that:
If you choose wired path.

There is wireless VRC 470f thing, but I haven't tried it myself.

I bought 9535 sensor only for aesthetic reasons. Normal 693 sensor looks a bit cheap and crappy.
You will not need time signal since you will set internal Vaillant programmer in VRC 470 for "24/7 on" mode since the demand comes from outside and you use Nest's schedulers for everything.

Last edited:
>> I'm wondering if my boiler pcb has that port to connect it to?

It doesn't have that port now. When you buy VRC 470 make sure it is supplied with edge connector and with 3 PIN connector for the boiler fascia.

Seeing as mine is from 2011, I'll have to open it up and have a look I think.

Whilst wiring up the sensor takes longer, just feels more likely to last longer.

Having it (control box) mounted to the front of the boiler sounds good.

I guarantee you that your boiler comes with no VRC 252629 edge connector fitted.
If you source VRC470 in a sealed new box it will have that connector and a 3 pin connector for in-fascia installation in it.
If you source just a bare used VRC470 you'll just google for VRC 252629 and get it.
Same for 3 pin connector.

Last edited:
>> Whilst wiring up the sensor takes longer, just feels more likely to last longer.

Yes, that's forever. Also, no worries about losing wireless signal. Make sure you have access to shady northern-facing wall.

>> Having it (control box) mounted to the front of the boiler sounds good.

Yes. That will automatically de-active the build-in Vaillant thermostat that you don't need.

View attachment 245775

When 240v DHW is active and when switch is ON the relay breaks 240v live for heating demand, shutting all heating valves that results in immediate removal of 240v from RT terminal of the boiler even if Nest thermostats are demanding heat.

Sorry for coming back to an old thread, but I wanted to check how you wired up the relay? I can see how it works when the switch is on, but when the switch is off does this not mean the hot water circuit is always off?

Otherwise I've gone exactly the same route as you described so thanks for the posts. I have a VR66 and VRC470F. Two things I found that might be useful to others: despite what the manual implies the ebus to the boiler had to be wired the right way around, as initially the VR66 was flashing red, indicating ebus connection error. Switching the ebus wires around in the VR66 fixed this. And the thermostat in the VRC470F can be set to 'off' via an installation command (unlike the VRC470 the controller is not boiler mounted, so the thermostat doesn't switch off automatically).

I have a very similar setup to notorious, except I'm using a vrc 470f with wireless outside sensor, using a VR66.

I have 2 heating zones so wired my CH zone valves via a 2 pole NC contactor (about 10 quid) which is activated when nest calls for HW (and shuts the CH zone valves).

I found using the vrc 470f thermostat helps if the house temp is considerably below the desired temp, as the flow temp will be adjusted that much higher along the heat curve, rather than just having the thermostat configured off.

Great write up !!

I’d like to set up a similar controls. I currently have a Vaillant ecoTEC 630 with 2 Nests controlling the ecoTEC switched Heat Demand (RT). The zones are
Nest 1 - Ground Floor - Under Floor Heating
Nest 2 - Upper Floor Radiators (x16), HW Cylinders x 2

Ideally, I would like to run Nest 1 commanding a Lower kWh and Lower Target Flow Temp (50 degree) and Nest 2 to be much higher kWH and higher flow Temp (70 degree). Weather comp would also be a bonus.

From this forum thread, I see how I could use the setup for the HW with high Temp, but not the HW and Upstairs Rads of Nest 2, both tuning at higher Temp.

I still want to use the Nests for my Schedules and Zone Target Room Temps for the two floors, so did not want to change to Vaillant Thermostats.

Q. Can this forum thread approach be adapted to include a the extra Heating zone to be controlled by Vailant eBus from the VR65/VR66 ?

One other thing to throw in there is that I do have a VR33 Opentherm to eBus adaptor that I have not tried to interface between one of the Nests and the boiler, so maybe there are other approaches with that, with or without a VR65 wiring centre etc

Any ideas ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back