Vaillant or Intergas, reliable? / Is load compensation beneficial on a new min-terrace house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I live in a mid-terrace house which is 10 years old near West London. Our boiler needs replacing which is a Pottertron SL 15 on a S Plan system. The boiler is on the ground floor with the control/tank/expansion vessel, on the 3rd floor, we live in a townhouse.

Number of local engineers have recommended Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 415 boilers, however, my uncle from North has recommended to look at Intergas NRE OV 18

The house is well insulated and I am keen to use load compensation controllers internally. I would need three zones (2x CH and 1x HW). If I went down with a eBus or OpenTherm system, I would need to run a very long cable between the boiler and the controller, it's certainly feasible.

In my local area we don’t have any Intergas installers, however, engineers who have installed Intergas before and have said positive notes on the boiler.

Looking at the reviews on Google, a number of customers have had problems with the boilers when trying to find a service engineer when the boilers have broken down. Intergas being new to the UK market don’t have enough engineers and therefore getting an engineer to your house can sometimes take days/week.
We also have a young baby in the house and while I am keen to save money on heating, I am also concerned that if something were to go wrong with Intergas I would get the same level of response I would with Vaillant.

My concern is the advanced controllers eBus and Opentherm actually work the hype, looking on Google, a number of studies mentioned saving of around 7% on average per year, this can add up…

Personally if I didn’t learn about weather or load compensation I would have gone with the Vaillant due to the warranty of 10 years compared to Intergas of 9 and market share.

In addition, I was looking at a Tado and the EPH system for the house as it supports OpenTherm, if I went with the Vaillant I could look to use their VR33 module (but heard it would invalid date the warranty) or Vaillant own controllers but then I am not keen on the idea of being tied in...

Views and recommendations are welcome.

Sponsored Links
Intergas aren't that new to the UK market, they've been here for over a decade. I've fitted loads and they've proved to be very reliable.

What's wrong with the existing boiler?

Intergas aren't that new to the UK market, they've been here for over a decade. I've fitted loads and they've proved to be very reliable.

Heat exchange is leaking, many people have said not worth replacing due to a crack.

Have you had any problems with the Open Vent system?

How have you found their support?

Sponsored Links
Not the best, and I have had issues with component failure on lots of them. Front plate seal required every 2 years and 4 year service kit including front plate seal again obviously every 4 years.

What is the make/model of existing? A fixed price repair might be the way to go.

Have you had any problems with the Open Vent system?

No, but haven't done many OVs. The modulation on them isn't very good so I tend to prefer fitting the Xclusive and setting it up as a system boiler. Does mean sealing the system though as they can't be run open vented.

Not the best, and I have had issues with component failure on lots of them. Front plate seal required every 2 years and 4 year service kit including front plate seal again obviously every 4 years.

What is the make/model of existing? A fixed price repair might be the way to go.

Intergas say to maintain the warranty I need to service the boiler every year, would the front plate seal and 4 year service kit not be included and covered under the annual service?

Problem is difficult to have a OpenTherm, well known make boiler which is also 650max in height as mine currently fits into a kitchen cupboard.

My current boiler is Potterton SL 15 2012 Model. A number of engineers have said I'd be better of replacing the boiler due to the repair cost and a new boiler would be more efficient.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
No, but haven't done many OVs. The modulation on them isn't very good so I tend to prefer fitting the Xclusive and setting it up as a system boiler. Does mean sealing the system though as they can't be run open vented.
Intergas technical support, well one person, also mention getting the Xclusive instead of the Open Vent, but it would then mean removing the pump etc... from the airing cupboard and have it all in the boiler and then a single point of failure. Doesn't really sit right with me...

The modulation on the OV is from 6.10 - 18.20 and the ECO Tech Plus 4.7 - 15.9, so the Vaillant is better, but needs specific (non-OpenTherm) controllers... Or did you mean the Xclusive has better modulation out of the box compared to the OV out of the box?

Intergas say to maintain the warranty I need to service the boiler every year, would the front plate seal and 4 year service kit not be included and covered under the annual service?
Aye, could be. It would be something to discuss with whoever you use to service the boiler - perhaps even intergas?

Any views on installing modulation controls on a new build, well installed home?

My house is 10 years old and only has the Honeywell on/off setup. I was thinking of going with a Tado with OpenTherm.

Are the savings which I am going to gain worth investing in an OpenTherm thermostat on a well installed house?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back